Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I just recently purchased a new Bible, and so have begun underlining it as I do whenever I read. However, it's amazing the new thoughts and passages I have been discovering, as if, for the very first time.

Somehow, in my old Bible, amidst all the underlining, I had skipped over certain areas for quite awhile, feeling as if, "I already know what's in that area" etc. But now that I am reading a NEW Bible, fresh and untouched by my markers from the past 18 years, thoughts and ideas are leaping out anew like never before. I keep thinking, "Wow, amazing! That's just what I needed to hear!" or "Wow, I forgot THAT was there!" (Hmmmm.... maybe I should start over with new Bible's more often!!)

Anyway, so I've been reading in Romans the last couple days...one of my favorite chapters, Romans 8. And these are some thoughts that I've discovered afresh:

"That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled (or made complete) in us, who walk not after the flesh (or after sinful human nature and inclination), but after the spirit (or supernatural power of God)." (Rom 8:4) and it goes on:

"For they that are after the flesh (or earthly nature of man apart from divine influence, and therefore prone to sin and opposed to God) do mind the things of the flesh, and they that are after the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded (again here referring to "fleshly minded") is death (eternal death or separation from God); but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind (or human willpower and flesh controlled mind) is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." (Vs 5-7)

Oh yeah, that's all fine and dandy, and we've all heard these passages many times. And we know that if we don't surrender our lives and hearts to God, we will die. But the next passage makes things a little more practical and close to home and kinda hits you in the face and shakes you in surprise. Or at least, it did me!

"So then, they that are in the flesh CANNOT please God..." (Vs 8)

Whoa, hold on here...cannot please God???! Yep, that's right! Why does that hit me in the heart even harder then the threat of eternal death?? I don't know, but it does...

It's like I am told, "You're gonna get sick and die if you don't take care of your body!" Yeah, I know that...don't we all?? But it's such a far and distant thought! But the next verse is like, "Not only will you die someday, but you are basically committing spiritual suicide right now and separating yourself from the very ONE person in the Universe who did everything to save you!!!!" Ouch....the last thing I want to do is displease and separate myself right now from the ONE who has saved me!!

I horror to think of myself standing before my heavenly father...with tears in His eyes as He says:

"Melody, I love you, but I am sooo displeased. I wanted to save you...I wanted to live through you...I wanted to crucify your flesh...but you wouldn't let me. Thus your flesh has crucified you."

How it would break my heart to hear such words! Yet how careless even I can be as I find myself at times floating passively through my Christian experience just expecting to be spared from the effects of the "Carnal/fleshly nature" while all the time it is slowly controlling my very life. Thankfully, as the first few verses of Romans 8 indicate, there is hope. But it requires an active CHOICE...not a passive one, to be successful!

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit. For the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh." (Vs 1-3) And again repeating verse 4:

"That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit." (Vs 4)

It's interesting how everything is backward, at least humanly speaking, when it comes to the things of God. The spiritual realities of life are so against our carnal self-filled nature of the world. A grain must fall into the ground and be buried before life springs forth, the bread must be broken before it is multiplied, a heart must die to itself and yield to God before it can truly live...

But as I've read these verses again, I am reminded of what is truly important in my life. Not what I've done, not where I've been, not who I know...but am I dead to self, am I covered in His Blood? Does my life please Him???

As a general rule, I love to please others, and I thrive on affirmation, especially from those I am close to. In fact, it hurts me if the slightest disappointment or dissatisfaction is shown by those I love. I think this is true for most of us. Yet, how often do we as Christians try to please our human companions and forget about the most important of all. ..our Creator and our God! Oh how I want to PLEASE HIM!!!!

"For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ." Gal 1:10

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it." Luke 9:24

So once again...God's Word has convicted me afresh...and I am praying that He will help me more fully live, and only live, to please and honor Him!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

beautiful. thank you for sharing! you are always so inspirational. :)

Staci said...

Powerful! Thanks for sharing. (BTW, I love the song on your website. Can you tell me where you got it from?)

Staci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.