Saturday, November 14, 2009

Usually...when you think of "love letters" you think of boyfriend girlfriend interaction, or even husband and wife. But as I have learned, it doesn't always have to be that way. In fact, some of the most beautiful "love letters" I believe, can be between family members (brothers/sisters or parents/child), close friends...and even between you and God.

I could expound upon all of the above...[family/friends/God] for I have been blessed with soooo many beautiful "love letters" from each of these groups over the years. But right now, I want to expound upon that of FAMILY...

From my earliest years I remember my dad writing love letters to my mom. Because of my dad's forestry work, which took him away from us for months at a time, he and mom learned how to communicate and keep their love alive and vibrant...even across the miles. He would send her post-cards of where he was working, write her letters of love and encouragement and have someone hide them where she would find them. He'd press her flowers in his cards, or cut out something special to send her. I especially remember the time he picked her a bouquet of flowers, dried them, and wrapped them up in an empty "plastic water jug" so they wouldn't get crushed...then mailed them home to her. (As I remember, they were an interesting site to behold when they finally arrived...but none the less...the gesture of love spoke volumes to my mom's heart!) Many of these remembrances only had small snatches of news, or this and that...but they always had words of love and encouragement...words reminding her that SHE was the best!!

But dad's love letters didn't stop with mom...He wrote them to both my grandmas too...and even to me. Always encouraging, always affirming and always pointing to Christ.

Well...the years went by, and I grew up...but during my growing up years, mom and dad added two more members to our family...two little boys. Now these boys were many years younger than I...and while I loved them dearly...they couldn't really relate to where I was. They were too young. They were just my "baby brothers." But time went on...and slowly these little boys became "little men"...and as they began to read and write, daddy taught them the same habits he had been practicing for years. Each week, when they were away, he would have them write letters to all of us girls back home...to mom, to their grandmas, and to me...wherever I happened to be in the world at the time. I still remember some of those first letters, and how special they were.

Slowly my brothers and I connected more and more...slowly our friendship grew. When Homer was 13...I was struggling with finances in my own young-adult world and had come to work with my dad for a bit. Homer made $1,000 that spring working with us, then to my shock, he turned around and gave the money to me... to help with my college and bills. I was humbled to tears. Daniel did the same... and as the boys got older, I felt them become more and more protective and caring towards me. Constantly watching out for me... building and affirming me, writing me letters when they were away... and sharing their hearts and lives.

We are all adults now...my brothers in their early twenties (that makes me "how old"? Ummm...we wont calculate), but as they have gotten older, we have gone from being siblings to best friends. And this has become the habit of their lives now...for they have continued to write their "love letters" to their mom, their grandma's...and to their big Sis (that's me) wherever I've been around the world.

This fall I've taken some time out to come home...and once again, have enjoyed the time to connect and share...more on a daily basis. And I've realized afresh, how much of their love I have taken for granted over the years. I was there when my brothers took their first baby steps...over 20 years ago...now I get to watch them take the big steps into man-hood. I get to be here by their side through their struggles, through their pain, and through their joys. And even still, I benefit from their protective tenderness and love.

Just this last week my brother Daniel went with my mom on a business trip to TN. And what did I find sweetly tucked inside my computer after he left??...but a sweet little "love note." It wasn't really different than any of the others...just as sweet, just as loving, just as affirming...yet...somehow it made me stop and think in a new way...about the power of our words, the power of our love, the power of encouragement. It made me stop and think of the many "love letters" that God has given me over the years.

Sometimes I am tempted to complain...sometimes I am tempted to cry...sometimes as a "single" I feel alone. But then God sweetly tenderly reminds me...with my family's "love letters" and with His "love letters" in His Word. I am not alone...I am very loved.

Wow!!! What a privilege...what a joy. How did I get to be soooo blessed??

Before I end this posting...I have to share a different kind of "love letter" that has profoundly impacted my life. If it weren't for this "love letter" there would be no others...It goes like this:

My Child,

You may not know me,
but I know everything about you.

Psalm 139:1

I know when you sit down and when you rise up.
Psalm 139:2

I am familiar with all your ways.
Psalm 139:3

Even the very hairs on your head are numbered.
Matthew 10:29-31

For you were made in my image.
Genesis 1:27

In me you live and move and have your being.
Acts 17:28

For you are my offspring.
Acts 17:28

I knew you even before you were conceived.
Jeremiah 1:4-5

I chose you when I planned creation.
Ephesians 1:11-12

You were not a mistake,
for all your days are written in my book.

Psalm 139:15-16

I determined the exact time of your birth
and where you would live.

Acts 17:26

You are fearfully and wonderfully made.
Psalm 139:14

I knit you together in your mother's womb.
Psalm 139:13

And brought you forth on the day you were born.
Psalm 71:6

I have been misrepresented
by those who don't know me.

John 8:41-44

I am not distant and angry,
but am the complete expression of love.

1 John 4:16

And it is my desire to lavish my love on you.
1 John 3:1

Simply because you are my child
and I am your Father.

1 John 3:1

I offer you more than your earthly father ever could.
Matthew 7:11

For I am the perfect father.
Matthew 5:48

Every good gift that you receive comes from my hand.
James 1:17

For I am your provider and I meet all your needs.
Matthew 6:31-33

My plan for your future has always been filled with hope.
Jeremiah 29:11

Because I love you with an everlasting love.
Jeremiah 31:3

My thoughts toward you are countless
as the sand on the seashore.

Psalms 139:17-18

And I rejoice over you with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17

I will never stop doing good to you.
Jeremiah 32:40

For you are my treasured possession.
Exodus 19:5

I desire to establish you
with all my heart and all my soul.

Jeremiah 32:41

And I want to show you great and marvelous things.
Jeremiah 33:3

If you seek me with all your heart,
you will find me.

Deuteronomy 4:29

Delight in me and I will give you
the desires of your heart.

Psalm 37:4

For it is I who gave you those desires.
Philippians 2:13

I am able to do more for you
than you could possibly imagine.

Ephesians 3:20

For I am your greatest encourager.
2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

I am also the Father who comforts you
in all your troubles.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4

When you are brokenhearted,
I am close to you.

Psalm 34:18

As a shepherd carries a lamb,
I have carried you close to my heart.

Isaiah 40:11

One day I will wipe away
every tear from your eyes.

Revelation 21:3-4

And I'll take away all the pain
you have suffered on this earth.

Revelation 21:3-4

I am your Father, and I love you
even as I love my son, Jesus.

John 17:23

For in Jesus, my love for you is revealed.
John 17:26

He is the exact representation of my being.
Hebrews 1:3

He came to demonstrate that I am for you,
not against you.

Romans 8:31

And to tell you that I am not counting your sins.
2 Corinthians 5:18-19

Jesus died so that you and I could be reconciled.
2 Corinthians 5:18-19

His death was the ultimate expression
of my love for you.

1 John 4:10

I gave up everything I loved
that I might gain your love.

Romans 8:31-32

If you receive the gift of my son Jesus,
you receive me.

1 John 2:23

And nothing will ever separate you
from my love again.

Romans 8:38-39

Come home and I'll throw the biggest party
heaven has ever seen.

Luke 15:7

I have always been Father,
and will always be Father.

Ephesians 3:14-15

My question is…
Will you be my child?

John 1:12-13

I am waiting for you.
Luke 15:11-32


Love, Your Dad
Almighty God

Reprinted with permission from: www.fathersloveletter.com

1 comment:

ur Harmony said...

I'm usually the one passing out "love letters" to my GaLPaLs, friends, & family...hhhhhmmmmm...

guess I need to read more of GOD's "Love Letter" to me too! I can always do more of that!