Sunday, March 06, 2011

Reflecting on the meaning of true Love...

"True love is a high an holy principle, altogether different in character from that love which is awakened by impulse and which suddenly dies when severely tested. True love is not a strong, fiery, impetuous passion. On the contrary, it is calm and deep in its nature. It looks beyond mere externals and is attracted by qualities alone. It is wise and discriminating, and its devotion is real and abiding. Love is a precious gift, which we receive from Jesus. Pure and holy affection is not a feeling, but a principle. Those who are actuated by true love are neither unreasonable nor blind. Mildness, gentleness, forbearance, long-suffering, being not easily provoked, bearing all things, hoping all things, enduring all things - these are the fruit growing upon the precious tree of love, which is of heavenly growth. This tree, if nourished, will prove to be an evergreen. It's branches will not decay, its leaves will not wither. It is immortal, eternal, watered continually by the dews of heaven." ~ Letters to Young Lovers p. 29

Wow - imagine such a love?! Truly a taste of Heaven on earth for those that experience it.

Another one of my best friends has gotten married....It was a beautiful wedding, and of course my friend Season was radiant, as you can see by the pictures below.


However I've been thinking about Love, not just human love, but the Love we share with our heavenly father. What if I looked as forward to meeting my heavenly Love as I do to meeting my earthly love?? What if I thought about my heavenly Love with the same tender longing as I would a earthly love? Sometimes its easy to loose focus...you focus on what you can see. And what you see is here and now. But my heavenly Love, although I cannot physically see Him, is preparing a mansion for me in Heaven, and He's counting the days down till we can be together. Am I doing the same for Him?

I was reading in Adventist Home awhile back, and it talked about how, even Christian young people shouldn't stay up late hours of the night during courtship...talking, being together etc. For one, it's not good on your health, and for two it gives the appearance of evil...and also the temptation to evil. (One reason why I've always steered away from staying up late with male companions...even if only friends.) However, she goes on to say, that it's not just a bad practice, but evil angels actually stay up late with those that carry on in this manner. Wow!!! Scary!!!

However, as I was thinking about it, I realized that I can compromise my relationship with Christ just as easily staying up late for other reasons....Facebooking....texting....watching Youtubes, even doing ministry stuff or good activities. Being in love and "dating/courting" isn't wrong, neither is being on Facebook or watching occasional edifying Youtubes (which are rare.) And obviously doing ministry activities isn't wrong. But the point is, when are we doing these things? Is it robbing our body of health, and is it taking time that God asks to be reserved for Him? Often times I have found that my morning devotional time is largely affected by the activities of the night before. So...if I want my morning love life (with God) to go well, I need to guard the night before...

Hmmm.....so this love business isn't just about ourselves. Although it sure seems enjoyable for us! But most importantly, it's for God, about God, by God, from God.

Wow....what a beautiful thing True Love is!

No comments: