Thursday, June 14, 2012

Will I Obey Today? Or will I put it off til tomorrow?

Although I consider myself an avid Bible student, and am often searching out the meaning of some passage of scripture, I haven't been reading through the whole Bible consistently like I should. So I have really been enjoying the "REVIVED BY HIS WORD" initiative that my friends at the General Conference started this spring. Each day the members of God's church (that's all of us) are encouraged to read one chapter of the Bible TOGETHER, and for those who do this together online, there is a forum where someone officially writes on today's chapter, then we can all discuss what we are learning and share. Being among one of those requested to write, I have already spent extensive time this past month studying the book of Leviticus. (Obviously, I'll be commenting on some upcoming portions of Leviticus.) Honestly, when I began studying Leviticus for the RBHW project, I wondered if I'd be able to find something good to comment on, but I underestimated the lessons contained in this book. Already, I have learned so much and have been bursting at the seams to share. And I am continuing to learn day by day, as I journey along with the RBHW family in the current daily readings. What a blessing!

Today, June 14th, we find ourselves at Exodus 9, and many of the bloggers are discussing the different plagues that fell on Egypt, and how they relate to us today. Lots of powerful thoughts being shared.

Yesterday, the reading was Exodus 8. And yesterday, the RBHW official commentator made a profound statement that really impacted me. The plague of frogs was upon Egypt, and Moses when talking to Pharaoh asked "when" he (Pharaoh) wanted the frogs to be removed. Pharaoh's response was "Tomorrow!"

Here's what our commentator on Exodus 8, Kenneth Matthews Jr, wrote regarding this:

"In verse 9 & 10, a remarkable and all-too-human aspect of humanity is seen in Pharaoh’s response to Moses’ question: when shall I ask God to remove the frogs from your palaces, homes and kitchens? Pharaoh answers like the defiant sinner he is. “TOMORROW!” Can you believe it? Christians today (Pharaoh) would rather wallow in sin one more day than to ask God to remove the sin IMMEDIATELY! We should not be too hard on Pharaoh of old, when we are apt do the same thing he did."

As I've been reflecting on how Pharaoh PUT OFF deliverance from the frogs ONE MORE DAY, it has struck a chord in my heart as I've realized some things that I've PUT OFF allowing God to deliver me from, little compromises that I've been reluctant to surrender and let go. I keep telling myself, "It's not a big deal. I'll do something about it later." In fact, it's easier to put it off and do something about it later, because the "sins of my heart" are not a nuisance to me like the frogs of Egypt probably were to Pharaoh. But God has convicted me… "Mel, although these sins seem little and inconsequential….these things are eating away from my relationship with you. You must do everything in your power to take action TODAY and put away every sin I convict you of NOW!!! Don't be like Pharaoh and put off til tomorrow the deliverance you need today!"

Wow. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it. I will not procrastinate anymore on what God is asking me to do. I will obey today. As I was tossing in my bed last night, God brought to mind some passages from inspiration that speak to this very thing:

"Even one wrong trait of character, one sinful desire cherished, will eventually neutralize all the power of the gospel. The prevalence of a sinful desire shows the delusion of the soul. Every indulgence of that desire strengthens the soul’s aversion to God. The pains of duty and the pleasures of sin are the cords with which Satan binds men in his snares. Those who would rather die than perform a wrong act are the only ones who will be found faithful." 5th Testimononies, p. 53

"However trifling this or that wrong act may seem inthe eyes of men, no sin is small in the sight of God. Man’s judgment is partial, imperfect; but God estimates all things as they really are." Steps to Christ, p. 30

I shared these thoughts with my RBHW family, and I also told them the following:

I could keep what God is doing in my heart to myself, but I was just thinking to share with all of you, because isn't this the whole purpose of WHY we need to be REVIVED by His WORD??? These aren't just cool stories we are studying, or lessons for the people of long ago. They are for us as a people TODAY! And they are to change and transform our hearts today, so we don't make the same mistakes as those long ago. Let's listen to whatever the Holy Spirit is telling us today and not harden our hearts any longer! Let's not rationalize away the petty sins of our lives any more!

"Wherefore then do YE HARDEN YOUR HEARTS as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened their hearts?...While it is said TODAY, if you will hear his voice, harden NOT your hearts..." 1 Sam. 6:6; Hebrews 3:15

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent, Melody. And, also, who sings the song on your board? I love it. Very touching!!!

boandkris said...

Melody, this really blessed and challenged me last night. It started to sink in that often my days are spent "shallowly" and how much a need a deeper experience and walk. I was blessed by the RBHW blog this morning too! I didn't realize that there was a blog involved until you shared it with me the other day. Thank you for sharing. It's so nice to have a place where we can all encourage and share with each other. I look forward to having this resource while we're in Cambodia. May we all be revived by His Word!

Dakota said...

As much as I appreciate the blessing of tomorrow, I’ve also come to see it as a blessing too often abused. Even though most people will readily admit their life could be snuffed out at any time, for some reason we continue to live as if there is always another page to be turned, another chapter to be written. Like the rich man in Luke 12 who fell into the lap of luxury only to “fall into the hands of the living God” when he least expected it (Heb. 10:31), many times we embrace unnecessary responsibilities today while postponing what God says is truly important until tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder to obey TODAY!

And in case you were wondering, I just came across your blog by doing a bit of blog-suring. I just added myself as a follower and I hope you'll check out my Christian devotional blog as well.

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
Dakota - A Look at Life from a Deerstand