Friday, December 15, 2006

Happy Anniversary Hollands!

Well we just sent Hollands off for a "romantic no-kids weekend." :-) I first met this sweet couple when they'd been married 4 years and now they've been together 21. Where have the years gone?

Usually each year, one of them does something for each other, but this year Mrs. Holland really out-did herself, and I got to help. The planning started only about 2 weeks ago. Mrs. Holland asked if I'd help her find a cabin or get-away place for her and her husband. We found this perfect beautiful "couples cabin" an hour or so South of here, near Sulphur in the Arbuckle mtns. But then it was reserved for this weekend. Bummer deal! We looked everywhere else, but either the cabins were too far away, or they were too expensive. I was getting discouraged and told her we should have started planning sooner. But then I got an e-mail from the lady that owned the cabin that we liked best, and she said there was an opening. Praise the Lord!!! So we reserved. This was just a secret between us girls though, as Mr. Holland had no clue. She did tell him a couple days ago that she was going to take him out for the afternoon so he wouldn't make plans.

So with the cabin reserved, plans continued. Mrs. Holland was excited, and I was really excited. (And I wasn't even the one going anywhere!) While Mr. Holland was away, we packed up food and their personal items and put them in the trunk of the car. Then after lunch, she asked him, "Are you ready to go?" He's like, "Yeah.....am I ok just like this?" "Yep!" she replied. And they took off out the door. Sandra had taken toothpaste and put hearts on the windows, and then wrote just married on the back window. It was great! After kissing us goodbye, they drove away. He had no idea where they were going or that all his stuff was in the trunk of their car. So funny....

They also had no idea that at the cabin I had ordered flowers, sparkling red grape juice, and candles to be waiting for them. :-) I can't wait to hear how they liked it all!!!

Ahhhh....it's so much fun to plan surprises!!! Especially when they involve a beautiful love story, like what they have. Hollands are such an inspiration and blessing to me. If it is ever God's will for me to marry, I hope to marry someone that is going to be a "best friend" and "spiritual soul-mate" like they've been to each other. They are a living example that "true love is worth waiting for" and part of the inspiration for the title of a program series I am working on for CCBN.

"Thank you God, that in this world of darkness and sin, there are still a few shining lights and examples of your love..."

No comments: