Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I have just finished reading a mess-up-your-life kind of book: Rees Howells "The Intercessor." This biography of Rees Howells was written by Howells’ friend and colleague, Norman Grubb (in cooperation with Howells' widow, son and secretary, and having at his disposal Mr. Howells' letters and the transcribed talks where he told many of the stories in the book). If you haven’t ever read it, you should. Well, maybe not. If you’re happy with the way you are, don’t. Because it might stir things up.

Born in South Wales October 10, 1879, Rees was always a good boy. As a youngster he loved to be in church "under the influence of God." When he was 22, he left Wales for America with the ambition to see the world and make money. When he got to America, he got a job with his cousin Evan Lewis and continued living the religious life he had lived in Wales. Thus when his cousin asked him one day if he was ‘born again,’ he was miffed. "My life is as good as yours," he said.

However over the next weeks, his cousin kept at him. After a time of seeking, an illness and hearing the testimony of a converted Jew, he saw himself for the sinner he was, and personally accepted Jesus into his life.

Shortly after he returned to Wales in 1904, the Welsh revival broke out. He became involved in it and worked at discipling new converts. However, he and his friends sensed spiritual needs in their own lives. And so in the summer of 1906 they spent their summer holiday at the Llandrindod Wells convention (a Welsh equivalent to the English Keswick Conference) where Howells made a pivotal decision.

From the first meeting, Howells was deeply moved. The realization dawned on him that the Holy Spirit was meant to be more than just an influence in His life. In his words:

He said to me, "As the Savior had a body, so I dwell in the cleansed temple of the believer. I am a Person. I am God, and I am come to ask you to give your body to Me that I may work through it. I need a body for my temple but it must belong to Me without reserve for two persons with different wills can never live in the same body. Will you give me yours? But if I come in, I come as God, and you must go out. I shall not mix Myself with your self."

This precipitated a five-day struggle in Mr. Howells. From the first, he realized it was an unconditional surrender, of which he said:

"I had received a sentence of death, as really as a prisoner in the dock. I had lived in my body for twenty-six years, and could I easily give it up....I wept for days. I lost seven pounds....Nothing is more real to me than the process I went through for that whole week. The Holy Spirit went on dealing with me, exposing the root of my nature which was self, and you can only get out of a thing what is in its root. Sin was canceled, and it wasn’t just sin He was dealing with; it was self...the root of all sin!"

Some of the things he came to a point of surrender over:

1. His love of money: "The Lord told him that He would take out of his nature all taste for money and any ambition for the ownership of money."

2. His choice in making a home: "I saw I could never give my life to another person, to live to that one alone. Marriage would be given as a gift to assist my work for God, not as a selfish gift just to please my own body."

3. His ambition:"Supposing he had a mission in a town and another mission opened in the same place; if there was jealousy between the two, and it was better for the town only to have one, then it would be his which would have to go."

4. His right to a good reputation: "As he was thinking of men of the Bible who were full of the Holy Ghost, and particularly John the Baptist, the Lord said to him, "Then I may live through you the kind of life I lived through them."

Finally on Friday of that week he came through. The book continues with stories of how God worked through this man teaching him faith and intercession as he prayed for the sick, prayed for the salvation of friends and acquaintances, gave up raising his own son to work as a missionary, traveled without any money in his pocket, bought estates, established a Bible school, and prayed for international events, especially during the World War II. And all the while God also continued to deal with his self-life.

Does this ring familiar to you as it did for me? I wonder if it isn’t on exactly this issue – the surrender of the self-life to the Holy Spirit – that we who have come to Jesus are most radically sifted. It determines whether we grow or remain stunted, are useful to God or detoured from completing His assignments because of our own agendas, will someday see our life’s efforts pay off or will see everything we have done go up in smoke because it was done through self.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me." Galatians 2:20

"Therefore I urge you brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – which is your spiritual worship." Romans 12:1

"Jesus takes us over for His enterprises, His building schemes entirely and no soul has any right to claim where he shall be put." Oswald Chambers

"Being filled with the Holy Spirit means that I am willing to live the life that Christ would have lived if He were in my place..."

Ouch....this thing called "Surrender" is not easy! It's a slow painful crucifixion...a dying process. Yet, if we are to be ready to meet Christ when He comes, it must happen. For self, nothing of self can be alive and face Christ. Self is sin, and all sin will be consumed.

This book "The Intercessor" has been hugely challenging to me. And it is powerful, not just about praying for others and seeing miracles and answers to prayer, but about an inner heart change, and living a life set-apart, filled with the Holy Spirit, and patterned after Jesus Christ. I have friends that have encouraged me to read this book for several years now, but I put it off. I only wish I'd read it sooner.

I encourage you to read it, read it NOW, and I pray that it can be the same encouragement for YOU!

2 comments:

Azure said...

I have a lot of problems with surrendering self. I surrender self and then I grab self back before I even realize I have...then I have surrender it again and get refocused on God. Maybe its a battle I will always fight until Jesus returns. I want Christ to live in me, why does something so simple have to be so hard?

Staci said...

I had this book as a early teen but in all my moves I misplaced it. I read the first part and was moved by it. Will have to get another copy and finish it. Sounds like a very convicting book!