Sunday, September 13, 2009

~ Time with Fami-LEE and Friends up North ~


Hold mouse over photos for captions!
And THANKS SUE for all the great photos!!!

So...if you can't guess by the pics above...I have had an awesome vacation in the beautiful North West this summer. (Specifically, Oregon, WA, Montana, & Idaho!) In fact, I liked it up there sooooo much that I am thinking of moving there to live. Now wouldn't that be a change from Southern CA?!


After helping host our first ARME BIBLE CAMP in Central CA (which I shared about below), I headed North with my Asian friend and twin Sue. Since we spent a mission trip in Korea together this summer (you can also read about that below) we have become permanently attached I think, a little like Siamese twins! (We have either talked or texted each other at least once every day since we came back from Korea!! Like I said, "Siamese twins." I think Sue is the "twin" I always dreamed of, but never had...truly my "Harmonious Joy.") She is overflowing with energy (relax Sue!) and loves people, but also is personable and down to earth. While a Speech Pathologist by training, she has a heart for serving and looking out for the underdog and those less fortunate. The more we get to know each other, the more we find in common...even to our shoe size. And our personalities have really clicked. We both thank God for allowing our paths to FINALLY cross. Sue has become a true friend, sister, and inspiration...and adds so much laughter to my days.

Actually, the whole Lee family (or "Fami-LEE" as I like to call them) has taken a very special place in my heart. I told them whether they like it or not, I am adopting them! I think they are still deciding IF they like that. Ha ha...) Anyway, I have been privileged to get a peek into their lives and who they are, and being in their home was such a blessing. Let me share a little below:

Dr. Harold Lee is the patriarch of the family, and a very godly one at that. He specializes in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, and has a heart for ministry and service. He's especially in tune with prophecy and the signs of the times, and helping people get ready for Jesus coming. And he speaks and shares as God gives him opportunity. His wife Sylvia (who incidentally has the same name as my own mother) is a sweet home-maker and caregiver for her family. She's also a retired nurse. I really enjoyed getting to know her some in Korea, and then while visiting a relative in Loma Linda, she got to stop by my place and we visited more. Sadly, she was not in Oregon during my visit, so could not be part of our adventures together while I was there. Dr. Lee and his wife Sylvia have two adult children, Jed & Sue. (Sue was mentioned above, and I will continue with Jed's family below.)


Jed (who was the director of our Korea team) and his wife Irene are also an incredible godly couple. He is an excellent teacher and enjoys giving Bible studies, mentoring young people, and sharing the Biblical message of Creation as well as many other inspirational Biblical insights. (I am already trying to book him more speaking engagements!) There's lots more I could say about Jed, but he's very humble and doesn't like my public appraisals, so suffice it to say, just as Sue has become my "Ssang-doong-Eee" (or twin), Jed has become my "Obba" or big brother. And we'll leave it at that!

Irene (or Kyung for short) is Jed's beautiful wife. My respect for Irene has been high right from the beginning because she was brave enough to go with us all the way to Korea with their 2 year old and 8 month old, even though Jed was busy most of the time with the school and program. Yes, Irene is a real trooper, and cheerfully followed us here and there in our busy schedules. Back here in Oregon, I have observed her to be an awesome homemaker and mother, and an incredible VEGAN cook. She has a great sense of humor and made me laugh so many times. She also did so much to make me feel accepted and welcome while I was visiting.

Theophilus Harold TaeHo Lee & Helaine Serenity HeeSun Lee are Jed and Irene's two adorable little ones (as you can see by the pictures above). TaeHo is 2yrs old and loves to look at books, ride his little truck, spend time with his daddy, love on his sister, and even take walks and pick berries with Auntie Mel. And he really likes pretending to drive Auntie Mel's car!! HeeSun is 9 months now and even while I was away from her for only a week, when I came back, I could tell she had grown. She loves her mommy, but even goes to sleep for Auntie Mel...that is if I take her walking. She has the cutest grins, and loves putting things in her mouth, especially paper. I expect that before they know it, she will be walking as she is sooo strong already. Jed and Irene are great parents and have much to be proud of in their children.

The Lee's all share one large home together...as is very much the Asian culture to do. And while it may not be typical "American" as most of us are used to, as I saw the peace and the tranquility of the home, and how they all work together, eat together, worship together, play together, and work things out together...it made me think of what our true home in Heaven will be like. Living, loving, giving, and sharing together.

"Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity." Ps 133:1

So, as is probably obvious in the photos...my first and longest stop on this road-trip was in beautiful Portland Oregon, at the Lee's. While I only planned to spend a couple days, I ended up spending like practically a whole week...and would have stayed longer if I could. As they live out in the country with a beautiful view of Mt. Hood, it was such a breath of fresh air to be able to rest and relax and just be with the little ones. It was also an extra treat to catch up with several other Korea teammates that go to their church...Mitchell, Michelle, Keeler and Megan.

Seattle WA was my next stop...although brief, I was blessed there as well. As I had promised my friend Calvin for some time that I'd come speak at their church, I drove up for the weekend to be with them! (He's one of my fellow teammates in ARME.) His family spoiled me royally, and I enjoyed the fellowship with their group. I also had the privilege of connecting with several more Korea teammates as Monica, Chris & Julie also live in the Seattle area. To make my Washington stay complete, a new friend, Dawn, went with me to spend a day hiking around the slopes of the beautiful Mt. Rainer.

From Washington, I drove over to visit childhood friends in Montana, the Ellers. Having spent a lot of my summers on their blue-berry farm, it brought back many memories. We enjoyed great fellowship, and even a little huckleberry ice-cream. As I've decided to be Vegan 100% now (thanks to Obba's logic), I can say at least that my last indulgence was a memorable one!

Then as my time was starting to run short, I headed back to Idaho for a night at Beav & Becca's. They are expecting their first child in October, and as she will be a little girl, I can't wait to meet her. They are missionaries to Mongolia, so it's a real treat to see them as much as I have this summer. (Both in Phoenix, and now in Idaho.)

My final Sabbath up North was spent back in Portland at the Lee's. This time, my stay was only for 2 days, and it was sad to have to say goodbye so soon. But as my mommy always says, "Leave while you are still welcome," so it's probably best I moved on! ;-) Before I left though, we had some awesome fellowship with their church family, I got to help them with a presentation on the Korea trip, we had a great Sunday breakfast out at a Vegan restaurant, I got a tour of Portland, we barely missed getting in a wreck, and had tea and goodies with Mitchell and Michelle while we watched "Animals are Beautiful" back at home. But alas, all good things come to an end eventually...and I had to say goodbye.

The drive back South was long and tiring...as most long drives are. But I was able to take a relaxing breather in Placerville (central CA) on the way back to Loma Linda, and spend a few days with my good friends Joy and Daryl. They just had a baby this past July, and she is a little doll as well. There's something I love about little "Asian babies" I think. (I keep teasing my sister Sunny and telling her, IF she and Tim will hurry up and have kids, maybe I will come live in their neighborhood again!!) Anyway, my time with Joy was a blessing as we got to talk and catch up on life...and she helped with Bangladesh plans. Yep, you heard right...I can't sit still for a second...I am taking off again soon....in only 2 days now. And this time it's on a long awaited return to visit my Orphan kiddos back in Bangladesh. (Along the way I'll also be assisting the Loma Linda University Medical Team and teaching at some of Dr. Moskala's schools in the slums in Dhaka!)

So....that's my last three weeks....in something a bit larger than a nutshell. I've been back in Loma Linda, all of 2 days now. My tongue is hanging out, and I'm tired of living out of a suitcase. But ready or not...here I go...AGAIN! ;-p

4 comments:

notsure said...

heLLLOoo Ssang-Doong-Eee!!! it's your Harmony--WOWOWOWOWOW WELL-WRITTEN SUMMATION of so many events and memories!!! LOVE that I'm NOW officially POSTING my FIRST COMMENT EVER on your Beautiful BLog! You are a gifted and gorgeous woman and I am blessed to know you! God truly gave you and you have developed MANY TALENTS!!!!

thanx for da "shout-out" to our famiLee...Glad you took that play-on of words cuz' it totally works!!!

notsure said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
notsure said...

and, it's a resounding YES!! to the fact that WE all want to adopt you MeLMeL!!! welcome: MeLodY is now a part of famiLee !!!!!

notsure said...

YuMMY; thanx to M&M for introducing us to SWEET PEA!!
if ANY of you are in Portland, OR. you MUST try that restaurant...
D-Lish!!! ;-p