Monday, April 26, 2010

A New Kind of Prayer...

The view out my bedroom window ~ Spring in Oregon

My Korean "abba" (father) reminded us at worship the other day about how we usually pray and how we should pray...VERY PROFOUND. Let me paraphrase his words...

Way One - the Usual way: It's like this....We have a huge sheet of paper with all our requests, wishes, wants, desires, needs, dreams and (etc etc) written on it...and we hand it up to God. "Please God, will you give me your signature on this paper! That's all I'm asking...just your endorsement and approval of my list."

Way Two - the Best Way: In reality, prayer should be....We have a blank sheet of paper, and at the bottom we sign our signature. Then we hand it up to God. "Whatever you want to put on this paper God, whatever it is that you think I need or that would be best for me and my life, I gladly accept. Not my will but thine be done!"

Wow - what a difference, huh?!

Kinda back to that old "Give God the Pen" thing that Eric and Leslie have always talked about. "Just give God the pen, and let Him write your life story & your love story, and everything else in your life, in His way! And it will be better than anything you could have wished up or dreamed on your own..."

But wow, sometimes, it's just not easy to give God the pen & a blank sheet of paper, is it?! After all, He could write ANYTHING...

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isa 55:8,9

2 comments:

Staci said...

That is deep! I want to have the courage to pray like that.

Emo said...

Melody I think this way of prayer with the blank sheet is very powerful but how few people pray like that because of the fear that God can ask we to do something we don't like.