Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Brighten the Corner where you are...


Most of the time, I just feel like I'm isolated in my own little corner of the planet...just doing what I love to do, loving God and those around me, and yet feeling like I'm not really connecting in a deep way with the world at large.

Sure, I have friends, I am involved in Ministry, I write, I e-mail - LOTS...and I see people every day at home or when I work. But again...I often feel alone in my own little corner...not interacting with hardly anyone it seems beyond a 10 foot radius, and buried and busy in living life in this fast paced "Modern Martha" world. (See entry below!)

But sometimes I forget, that even though I may not feel like I see or interact with lots of people daily, and sometimes I wonder if I'm really making a difference for God...yet somehow, sometimes, people see and are watching you...

A couple months ago I had the shock of my life when I went to work one morning at the hospital.

I was innocently making my rounds, opening charts, taking notes, checking vitals, and making sure my patients were all alive and ready for the day with their new nurse. While looking through one chart, I looked up to see a stranger walking by. I smiled at her, then started to turn back to my chart, but the expression of recognition and surprise on her face held my gaze. My mind reeled, "Do I know this girl? Why is she looking at me with such a gaze, as if she's seen a long lost friend or something? I don't ever remember seeing her before..." I smiled again... "Goodmorning, do I know you?" I queried. She slowly came to my side to give me a hug as she exclaimed, "Melodious Echo...I can't believe it's you!" I allowed the hug, but was still confused and perplexed. "Ummm....I don't remember you...." I said again. She smiled as she burst forth with enthusiasm! "Your blog, I've been reading your blog for awhile now!!!! It has been SUCH a blessing to me...I just can't believe I'm meeting you here in the very hospital where I work. This is amazing..." And on she gushed. Now I was in shock.... "You read my blog?" I asked in surprise....

So the story came out...she had been living back in the midwest, about a year ago, and was struggling with some things in her life and happened to be surfing the Internet one night when she accidently stumbled across my blog. She shared that it had been so inspiring to her (I was just in awe listening to her story) that she has been reading it ever since! Wow - what a shock!! Here I was just minding my own business, in my own little corner, and writing about the experiences in my life (mostly for my family and friends, and because I like to write) yet a complete stranger was being blessed...All I can say is, "Praise the Lord."

I'm reminded of the old favorite childhood song - "Brighten the Corner where you are!"

  1. Do not wait until some deed of greatness you may do,
    Do not wait to shed your light afar;
    To the many duties ever near you now be true,
    Brighten the corner where you are.

  2. Refrain:
  3. Brighten the corner where you are!
  4. Brighten the corner where you are!
  5. Someone far from harbor you may guide across the bar;
  6. Brighten the corner where you are!
  7. Just above are clouded skies that you may help to clear,
    Let not narrow self your way debar;
    Though into one heart alone may fall your song of cheer,
    Brighten the corner where you are.
  8. Refrain:
    Brighten the corner where you are!
    Brighten the corner where you are!
    Someone far from harbor you may guide across the bar;
    Brighten the corner where you are!
  9. Here for all your talent you may surely find a need,
    Here reflect the bright and Morning Star;
    Even from your humble hand the Bread of Life may feed,
    Brighten the corner where you are.

1 comment:

Emo said...

Wow this is realy, realy something.
It was not by chance it was Gods' providence that this lady read your blog.Thank you for sharing Mel