Friday, April 25, 2008

"Hooo hum....back to living life....alone again..."

Well...for the first time in almost a year, I have my room all to myself again! Alisha moved in with me about this time last year and was with me for the summer, then Val moved in with me last August and has been with me til one week ago, when she and Amanda moved into their own house! (Daryl's old house for those interested...)

You'd think I'd be happy to have my space again....but I have to admit (sniff sniff), I'm a little sad and a little lonely...

"Val, why did you have to leave...??"

(Sad Sigh... )

No more talking ourselves to sleep at night, as we re-hashed the burden of our hearts or the events of the day. No more goodnight hugs or prayers. No more sharing perfume and toothpaste. No more coming home to find my bed made (on those rare days I'd left to work in such a rush I hadn't made it). No more coming home to find my laundry done or the place re-organized. No more having a friend always here, ready at a moment's notice for adventure...a walk in the park, a shopping spree to Victoria Gardens, or to the Gym. No more waking up in the morning to have our devotions then excitedly sharing what we'd learned or discovered "that day." No more in the middle of the night, "Hey Mel...you know I was thinking..." and then Val would proceed to elaborate on whatever new inspiration had hit her mind. No more, "Hey Val...I need to talk..." (Val was a real faithful listener too!) No more helping each other cook meals or buy food. No more having to quietly slip in the door when I'd been out late so I didn't wake up my roommate...No more fighting over the thermostat (We didn't really fight...but it definitely was an area of differing perspective at times), No more waking each other up with our alarms or friends that call at all odd hours of the night... No more waking up to hear Val tossing and turning in her bed across the room when she couldn't sleep or had a migraine (sorry Val, I tried to help, but wish I could have helped more!). No more waiting up for each other because we had something important we had to share... No more car-pooling together to friends homes or to the store. The list could go on and on! And it does... You just never realize how much fun a great roommate is...until they move out!! :-(

There are sooo many things that I find that I miss since Val has moved out! Yes, sharing your room and home with someone definitely has it's ups and downs, and there are compromises and adjustments to be made. But the joy of having one of my best friends as a roommate far out weighed any hurdles that we had to climb. So yes...it's kinda nice to have a little more space...but at the same time...It's hard to have the room all to myself again as well! ;-/

(Smiling again...)

While I don't have a roommate any more, I still have a great friend...and she only lives a few blocks down the street. She also still has a phone...so while it may not be the same, we will continue to share many more good times...and who knows, I may just go camp out at her place sometimes too! (I just want you to know, I miss you Val!)

"Ooooh No!!!"

(Sad disturbed expression now crosses my face...)

I just remembered that my Sister will be moving out soon too... (She gets married July 20th to one Great Guy!!) And that's a great consolation...but what am I going to do then???

"Ooooh no....Oooh no!" (Sniff sniff...)

Ok....time to stop being "Melody-dramatic" and go to bed... :-)

1 comment:

Khon Kaen Traveler said...

I feel your pain of losing a good roommate, Mel. Especially when you lose them and go to living alone, everything just seems so...quiet. Thank God for good friends and good roommates!