Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year 2010!!!!


Thanks to Alden Ho for so many great photos!

What better place to spend New Year than with 6,000 other young people, worshiping and praising our Lord?!

Yes, this year found me again making the annual trip to the Generation of Youth for Christ yearly conference. (This is my 6th out of the 8 years they've been doing it!) And once again, as the opening day began, I found myself behind the long registration tables helping people get details works out. We had a crowd before we even opened the doors, and I knew it would be one long exciting day. As it turned out, I didn't leave my chair for the next 12 hours straight as we registered people...one after another. For that opening night, we had about 3,500 in attendance. (A record for GYC.) By the weekend we had over 6,000 young adults worshiping and praising God together. Wow!!

The theme of this years conference was "unASHAMED" and was based on Rom 1:16

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."

As the controversy between good and evil increases, even upon that of Christian universities and campuses, we were inspired by the many Biblical Christ-centered messages reminding us to be true and not bow down...except to the one true God. I think the evening messages by David Asscherick were my favorite, as he challenged us boldly to be unAshamed of the Crucified Christ, the Creative Christ, and the Coming Christ! Everything was good, but Wow!!!

On Friday they loaded up 37 school buses to take the kids out into the communities to share Christ. 400 people did not find room on buses, so just walked the streets looking for opportunities to witness. As a result 22,000 doors were knocked on and almost 1,000 people actually requested Bible studies. Some even shared with those that came to their doors that they'd been praying God would send someone to them to share Him. (Isn't God amazing??)

Instead of partying away until midnight on New Year's Eve, after the meetings my friends and I knelt in our motel room to pray in the New Year. (Many others did the same!) What a special time it was...just opening our heart before our Savior! Outside our hotel window, the limousines came and went, and the secular party goers yelled and screamed. In the distance you could hear fire works...but for us, our hearts were aglow with the excitement of starting the New Year with our Lord! What a privilege and honor...

If you too, would like to share in some of the powerful talks, testimonies, sermons and inspiration that we were all blessed with, visit: GYC 2009 Audio

Be Blessed my friends, and Happy New Year, again!!!!

1 comment:

Sari said...

Hello Melody!

Thank you so much for visiting my blog, that is so sweet of you! I must admit it made me excited too because I haven't gotten any comments till yours! =)

I started reading through yours recently and also love seeing how the Lord works through others! Man! It's amazing!

That certainly does sound like a great way to ring in the New Year! I especially am blown away by His glory when you said, "Some even shared with those that came to their doors that they'd been praying God would send someone to them to share Him. (Isn't God amazing??)" Oh Praise Him!

I can't wait to read more of your blogs =)

Be blessed sweet sister!
Sari =)