Monday, April 18, 2011

God's Way is Perfect...learning to Surrender!




"God's Way is Perfect"


After a busy Spring of ministry with ARME, being on the road constantly (largely the "wrong side" of the road, I might add), flying back and forth across the Atlantic Ocean twice, seeing the North Pole (from 7 miles high), traveling through 6 countries, helping teach and lead United Prayer before more people than I can count, seeing countless miracles and transformed lives, being in another best friend's wedding, and living out of a suitcase from one stop to the next...I'd say these last four months have about held enough excitement to last many years. I love adventure, I love traveling...and I especially love watching people fall in love with the Lord.


Looking back even 10 years I would not have imagined the great things God would be doing in my life today. The ministry that God has called me and my teammates to with ARME is truly one of the most fulfilling adventures I could have ever hoped for. And the relationship that I've found in Him is even more wonderful than the "perfect Valentine." But even Jesus counseled His disciples to come apart and "rest awhile." So finally, after four months of traveling and full time ministry, I've returned home. Home sweet Oregon home. Yes, it's nice to be back in my own little apartment and it's nice to once again be sleeping in my own bed!"


Since being back, I've been doing lots of thinking...thinking about the secret to learning to balance the million things that seem to be constantly pressing for my attention, and how to cultivate and maintain the deep walk with God that alone can sustain me. Even though my journey with God is amazing, it doesn't mean the enemy is silent. He is constantly seeking to hedge up my way and pull me down, get me to compromise, or simply convince me that I can stand in my own strength. More and more I realize that "what" God has called each of us to is actually no small task - it's a supernatural existence...a life poured out in absolute surrender to Him, in servant-hearted love and devotion to our families, and in whole hearted commitment to our unique ministry. Many ask me, "How do you maintain...how do you keep on going without one thing or the other suffering?" Again, I'm reminded of what my friend Eric once said... "What God has called us to, we cannot do... at least in our own strength. And if we try, we will fail! This life can only be accomplished in Him. It truly is a supernatural existence."

"With men it is impossible, but not with God, for with God, all things are possible." Mark 10:27

"Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises, that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." II Pet 1:4

So, once again...I feel my need to dedicate my life to Him...I look to Him to renew, to strengthen, and to equip me for the task ahead...and I ask that He will continue to teach me how to be faithful...not just to ARME, not just to a specific task, but to all those that He brings across my path, and to all those that I love and hold dear. My desire is that I would not just "survive" and not just "manage" (as it seems that many do who maintain such a busy life) but that I would live in excellence for His glory in all areas of my life. Surrender doesn't just happen once...it must take place again and again. And each day...He should take us deeper! And that's what He's doing with me. I find it hard to imagine sometimes, after experiencing so much joy and beauty that there could actually be MORE. But there always is. Serving God is not just about surviving from one trial to the next...it's about living a life more abundant...a life fulfilled in Him.

As I was cleaning out some papers in my closet a couple days ago, I happened across a poem I wrote a number of years ago... I thought I'd share it that it may be an encouragement to others. :-) It's about surrender, even through trials and pain and unanswered questions. And believe it or not, I've had a few through the years. Yet through all of these times, I've always seen God's perfect hand and His love...guiding and providing. And my life now is a testimony to the fact, that His way truly is perfect. No, I still don't know the end of my story and there are probably still unexpected bends in my road, and I do have trials and challenges, but I couldn't be happier or more fulfilled learning to daily abide in Him. As you read, you will see that there are many hidden stories behind each line...above all though, hopefully you will be encouraged to hold on and trust Him no matter what you may be going through, because truly when we surrender to Him, His way is perfect....and all things work together for good when we let go and trust Him.
(Smile smile, Melody's a poet, and I bet most of you did not even know it!)


2 comments:

Brianna said...

hi
This is kind of a random question but i have no way to ask you other than on here on your comments. I've been following your blog and you are truly an inspiration to me but im kind of having a hard time figuring out Gods plan for my life. Im trying to do what he wants me to do as far as careers go but i don't know what he wants me to do. Im only a freshman in college but im feeling a lot of pressure in this. could you just give me some advice. thanks

Melody said...

Hey Brianna, I'd love to talk more. Why don't you send me an e-mail at: melodiousecho@gmail.com and that way we can chat more freely. :-)

Two of my favorite verses: Matt 6:33 & Prov 3:5,6

Ok girl, I'll look forward to hearing from you... my inbox is full, so it may take a few days for me to respond, but I will. So don't be bashful... :-)