Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Storm Came…and the Daffodils are paying the price!


Some of you have written and asked me… "How are the Daffodils? Did the storm ever come?"  For those of you that remember my post from January 6th about the "Daring Daffodils"... the STORM did finally come!!! And regretfully our poor Daffodils were NOT ready!!

I actually thought it would be just a few days or weeks before we had our first hard winter freeze or ice. But it took longer than I thought…actually, over a couple months longer! It's now mid-February and it's not until THIS week that we really got hit with hard winter weather for the first time here in Arkansas. So I don't blame the daffodils for doubting and continuing on with life unprepared...

And isn't it much the same with us… We've known all our lives that hard times are coming and that Jesus really is coming back soon. But "soon" - how soon?? Most of us probably think, "I know they keep talking about it, but they've been talking about it my whole life! Seriously, I can't see things getting bad that soon. Despite talks of economic disaster and chaos things in the world seem just fine, we probably have plenty of time…"

If we talk like this, we'd be like the men from Bible times...

"Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation...But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness," II Pet 3:3,4,10,11

This is a good challenge for me today… "What manner of person ought I to be?" Am I preparing to stand through the fire and live for eternity…or am I just thinking about the joy of the moment or about what I can do to increase my pleasure for tomorrow? Let's learn something from the Daffodils...

No comments: