Wednesday, December 05, 2007

"O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jeremiah 10:23

I said: "Let me walk in the field."
God said: "Nay, walk in the town."
I said: "There are no flowers there."
He said; "No flowers, but a crown."

I said: "But the sky is black,
There is nothing but noise and din."
But He wept as He sent me back,
"There is more," He said, "there is sin."

I said: "But the air is thick,
And the smog is veiling the sun."
He answered: "Yet souls are sick,
And souls in the dark undone."

I said: "I shall miss the light,
And friends will miss me, they say."
He answered me, "Choose tonight,
If I am to miss you, or they?"

I pleaded for time to be given.
He said: "Is it hard to decide?
It will not seem hard in Heaven
To have followed the steps of your guide."

I cast one look at the field,
Then set my face to the busy town,
He said: "My child, do you yield?
"Will you leave the flowers for the crown?"

Then into His hand went mine,
And into my heart came He.
And I walk in a light Divine,
In the path I said I'd never be!

Author: George MacDonald with personal modifications by "yours truly."

I read this poem yesterday, and as I thought about my life and some of the paths that God has lead me in...and specifically that of coming here to smoggy busy over-populated Southern California (the place I said I never wanted to be!) I am thankful and awed at what God is seeking to do in my life, and the lives of those around me. Yes, sometimes I get discouraged and am tempted to just leave it all and walk away. "I'm really not doing that much for God here anyway, am I?" I want to cry. Yet even amid the din of noise around me, I hear His soft voice, encouraging me to keep trying...encouraging me to stay.

As my blog readers have probably noticed, I've had a lot to share on the topics of "trials" and the purpose of "pain" over the last months. And if it's not obvious, it's because God has been taking me through some very special personalized growing experiences that haven't been pleasant. Yet, as I look back over the path He's brought me, I can only thank Him...for I know He is seeking to build my character and develop my life for His glory.

While the fires have died down, the floods have subsided (literally and personally), and the bitter pain of carrying a new cross has lessened, I'm still grateful for the lesson's God has taught me through these experiences here in Southern California. And I more keenly see the benefits of the trials along the way. In fact, just yesterday, I read some more thoughts on character development that were sooooo inspirational, I just have to share them. So here you go:

"Steel is iron plus fire. Soil is rock plus heat, or glacier crushing. Linen is flax plus the bath that cleans, the comb that separates, and the flail that pounds, and the shuttle that weaves. Human character must have a plus attached to it. The world does not forget great characters. But great characters are not made of luxuries, they are made of suffering.

Someday, God is going to reveal the fact to every Christian, that the very principles they now rebel against, have been the instruments which He used in perfecting their characters and molding them into perfection, polished stones for His great building project yonder.

Suffering is a wonderful fertilizer to the roots of character. The great object of this life is character. This is the only thing we can carry with us to eternity. To gain the most of it and the best of it is the object of probation."

Did you catch that thought? "The great object of this life is character!" It matter's not what else we have done, or what else we have acquired...unless we have also acquired great character.

"Dear Lord, please help Melody to always be thankful for whatever happens to develop her character..." ;-)

Authors Cortland Myers and Austin Phelps from "Streams in the Desert" Dec 2nd & Dec 5th.

2 comments:

Azure said...

I really needed to read this and that poem is perfect! I have been struggling with the thought of leaving the country here [i've always lived in the country] and go to the busy Quad Cities to be near Dan's family [who need God desperately] in the big Quad Cities and this has helped me get a better perspective and not feel so sorry for myself. :) I think God spoke to me through this blog.

Melody said...

Praise the Lord! Yes, God is working with all of us. Sometimes it's to yield and be willing to go to the cities, and sometimes it's to yield and be willing to go to the country, and sometimes it's just to stay put....wherever we are! It's not always easy, but as I keep learning, His way is the best way! ;-)