Saturday, August 25, 2007

It's Sabbath once again...what a blessing, and even more so after joining the working world again full force! I just completed my 2nd week of my new travel nurse position (incidently, I'm working at the same hospital I worked this Spring, so it's not too stressful getting adjusted). But this position is really an answer to prayer as I was wanting to finish paying off a few more bills before I dive more full time into volunteer ministry. God is good!

The other morning for my devotions, I was studying out some of the different characteristics that God's people will have at the end of time...and I of course was looking over the verses in Matthew chapter 5. And one in particular stuck out to me that I wanted to share.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven."

Hmmmm.....what does poor in Spirit REALLY signify?? I mean, I have a general idea....humble, meek, contrite heart etc. Yet, Jesus also includes "meek" in the list of characteristics of his people, so obviously they have differences. Upon further investigation, I looked up the Greek word for "poor" and found it to be from the word "ptochos" which has a number of meanings including that of "begger, helpless, powerless, destitute of anything..." and one particular group of meanings that really hit home, "destitute of wealth, influence, position, honour."

In essence, I think you could sum it all up by saying "Poor in spirit means being destitute of Self!" Wow!!! These are the type of people that God promises will inherit the kingdom of Heaven? Is that the type of people we are? Do I fit the qualitifications of "poor in spirit"? I'd like to think so....but hardly!

How much of our lives do we spend seeking to accumulate wealth, influence, position and honour? Yes, we may justify it behind good ambitions and intentions (I know I have often lived in this group, and still struggle to be free of this....to be free of worrying what others think, to be free of trying to maintain a special status, to be free of being controlled by my bills) yet...that is what we are all about...as long as SELF is on the throne! We should be pleading with God to deliver us from our own selfish heart...like Job cried out.

"Wherefore I abhor my SELF (emphasis added), and repent in dust and ashes." Job 42:6.

For if we are not delivered...we will self-destruct for "self" only brings death...as the whole Great Controversary of our lives, so clearly shows!

So what is the alternative?? How are we to provide for our families, how are we to pay our bills? How are we to have money or influence to work for God? If we are not to be focusing on seeking these things in our lives, what are we to focus on? Well, I am still learning that for myself....but I think a lot of the answer to this questions comes in the following chapter - Matthew 6! Read it and ponder it. I'm still working on it myself.

But back to Matthew 5.....I also looked up "meek" since I wanted to be clear on the differences, and Jesus also included it as a very important characteristic to have. This was fascinating and encouraging, and I don't think I had quite looked at "meek" like this before.

It comes from Greek word "prayus" and this is the definition they give:

1) mildness of disposition, gentleness of spirit, meekness

They go on to expound further:

Meekness toward God is that disposition of spirit in which we accept His dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting. In the OT, the meek are those wholly relying on God rather than their own strength to defend against injustice. Thus, meekness toward evil people means knowing God is permitting the injuries they inflict, that He is using them to purify His elect, and that He will deliver His elect in His time (Isa 41:17, Luk 18:1-8). Gentleness or meekness is the opposite to self-assertiveness and self-interest. It stems from trust in God's goodness and control over the situation. The gentle person is not occupied with self at all. This is a work of the Holy Spirit, not of the human will (Gal 5:23).

WOW! Talk about having a new attitude in afflictions and trials! Obviously "poor in spirit" and "meekness" have two very different qualities....yet they go hand in hand it seems as well. Being freed of "self" so that we can more fully trust God in all circumstances and all events!

I don't know about you, but that just really humbled and yet inspired me at the same time. And it also gave me a clearer vision of what God has in mind for each of our hearts! What an incredible God we serve...soooo opposite from the gods of the world!

1 comment:

Luther said...
This comment has been removed by the author.