Monday, May 23, 2011

Will I love Jesus More??


Will we love Jesus more???

This song really touched my heart. And while the music style isn't my favorite, I had to play it for a bit on my blog as it so clearly reflects the cry of my heart right now...Will we love Jesus more...???

More than the ideals of those around us, more than the approval of a friend, more than the accolades we receive in service, more than the styles of clothes our closet contains, more than indulging on unhealthy treats, more then frivolous entertainment, more than worldly wisdom, more than the love of ones we hold dear, more than what our neighbors think, more than staying up on the latest news, more than what's the latest on Facebook, more than another hour of sleep, more than what temporal security brings? Will we love Jesus more? Will we love Him more then comforts and pleasures, more than our own reputation, more than keeping ahead of the rest, more then having or own way?? Is He truly the first, best, and last of everything in our hearts? Are our fondest thoughts of Him?? Or have we allowed “other loves” to take His place…?? I don’t know about you, but my prayer today is that I would love Jesus more…

“Your religious life must rise above the standard of public opinion if it abides the searching investigation of the Judge of all the earth. Should the shadow of death gather about you, you will never regret that you were a lover of God more than a lover of pleasure. You will never regret that you did not participate in worldly dissipation. Your only regret will be that you did not love Jesus more…” 19MR 191.1

As I reflect on this beautiful spring I’ve enjoyed traveling with the United Prayer team through Southern Africa and Bangladesh, it is easy to become self-centered and selfish. Why? Because I love adventure, I love travel, and I love seeing lives changed because "we prayed" - because I reached out. And of course, God uses each of us...and our being willing to step out of our comfort zone and take the journey with God is where it starts. We should take joy in seeing lives changed! But what is the purpose? Is my investment in service to bring others eyes to myself or to Him? What motivates my love?

As I reflect on the fulfillment that I enjoy in ministry, and as I reflect on the enjoyment I've felt with friends, I am reminded again, it is all in vain if it hasn't helped each of us "love Jesus more." He is coming soon. We can't allow our eyes to focus on ourselves, on our own dreams, on our own pleasures. Our secret delights, our idols, our selfish desires to be acknowledged and applauded must be dealt a violent blow. All these things must be put away. We must love Him more...and the motive of our life always be that others love Him more. And so my challenging question today for each of us...will we love Him MORE????

WILL YOU LOVE JESUS MORE?

I feel quite sure if I did my best
I could maybe impress you
With tender words and a harmony
A clever rhyme or (prayer) or two

But if all I've done
in the time we've shared
Is turn your eyes on me
Then I've failed
at what I've been called to do
There's someone else
I want you to see

[CHORUS]
Will you love Jesus more
When we go our different ways
When this moment is a memory
Will you remember His face
Will you look back and realize
You sensed His love
more than you did before
I'd pray for nothing less
Then for you to love Jesus more

I'd like to keep these memories
In frames of gold and silver
And reminisce a year from now
About the smiles we've shared

But above all else
I hope you will come
To know the Father's love
When you see the Lord face to face
You'll hear Him say "well done"

[CHORUS]
Will you love Jesus more
When we go our different ways
When this moment is a memory
Will you remember His face
Will you look back and realize
You sensed His love
more than you did before
I'd pray for nothing less
Then for you to love Jesus more


I'd pray for nothing less then for you to love Jesus more!!!!

*Music to this song by Philips, Craig and Dean

**Pictures taken from highlights of our United Prayer travels in Southern Africa and in Bangladesh.

No comments: