Sunday, November 11, 2007

"Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it..." Ps 127:1

What does it mean, "Except the Lord build the house?" I mean, I know He is much more of a skilled carpenter than I, and He has the master blue-print needed to frame the structure, but surely that doesn't mean that I can't put my skill and talents to work as well, does it? I can hammer a little here and help out a little there...and I should be able to direct the final details and organize the finishing touches, shouldn't I? After all, I know what it is I want to build. I know what I want the final product to look like. He didn't give me a head for nothing!

But is that what the verse says..."Except the Lord build the house, and except you help him out with all the details...your work will be in vain!" No, it doesn't say that! It seems to be strictly a work of the Lord...and unless we allow the Lord to do that work...it will all be in vain!!

Yes, often God works in ways we cannot understand and through avenues that we cannot see, but He knows what He is doing! We must trust Him...and do so, by keeping our hands out of the mix. As one simple but powerful quote says,

"Faith is trusting God, believing that He loves us and knows what is best for our good." Ed. pg 253

And as another says:

"In the future life the mysteries that have annoyed and disappointed us will be made plain. We shall see that our seemingly unanswered prayers and disappointed hopes have been among our greatest blessings." Ministry of Healing pg 474

There's been a puzzle in my life and in the lives of some of those I love, for a couple years now. And there have been lots of questions. At times it's been difficult to trust God and the workings I do not seem to see.

This puzzle involves the area of romantic relationships...and specifically that of my sister Sunny and her courtship with Tim, which took place over almost a year before they felt that God was leading them to separate. (That was back in 2005.) As I cried out to God about my own heartbreaks I did not understand, I also cried out to Him about Tim and Sunny. "How could you allow two godly people that were sincerely seeking to honour you and follow your will, fall in love and believe that you were leading them together, only to latter believe that you were leading them to let go and step a part. What exactly are you up to God??" It just didn't make sense to me!!

Yet, even though I could not see, (and even they did not know what God had in mind for them through the experience), God did have a purpose and a plan. He had some special roads they needed to walk and some precious lessons they needed to learn. And as a result of their faith and trust, He has worked a miracle once again! Now, after two years of separation with no hope on either part that they would ever be back together, God has made it very clear that He is leading them together again!

No, the story isn't finished...God still has many details to write...but knowing that He is the one building the house...and perfecting the work in their lives, gives Sunny and Tim confidence that whatever the future holds will be wonderful! And it gives me hope and courage in my own life too! Although "my house" doesn't always seem to be coming neatly together, I realize that it's God's work to complete, not mine. And when I keep my hands out of things and give Him time, the grand picture will eventually begin to take shape as God fits the puzzle pieces perfectly together.

So, while I'm really happy about what's happening in Sunny and Tim's life, I'm also excited and encouraged about what God is doing in mine. He's teaching me to have a faith and trust like never before...and though I do not know what lies ahead (a few more years in the over-crowded populace of Southern CA...or moving to my dream hut with some far away remote jungle tribe, more years alone learning to be content as a single...or happily married to a special Mr. Wonderful I have yet to meet, having my own children...or adopting those that have no parents, working with a Television ministry that seeks to reach the four corners of the world...or working alone where no one sees...) I know that my God will only give me what is for my best! Why? Because...He is perfect...and His way is perfect...even when that way sometimes includes loss and pain...

"As for God, His way is Perfect..." Ps 18:30



*I write this TODAY in honor of Sunny and Tim as they celebrate their 1 month anniversary back together! I'm sooo thankful for both of them and for the blessing and encouragement they are in my life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel,
Thank you so much for your prayers and support. That means a lot to me and Tim. God is truly faithful and trustworthy.
Love,
Sis

Eagle said...

Hi Melody,
I enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for all that you do. You have been such a blessing to all you meet. God bless YOU!