Sunday, November 19, 2006

Encouragement from a new friend...

Well, I'm back to San Diego for my last three days of intensive hands-on character building! ;-) Actually, compared to some times lately, today was wonderful!!! Sundays usually are easier though, as we nurses aren't competing for our workspace with dozen's of therapist and doctors and others. So it was laid back and quiet, and my patients, although good at keeping me very occupied (what else do I go to work for anyway) were all really sweet and apologetic for any inconvenience they might be causing me. Like I said, why else am I there, but to serve them? But it sure does make it more joyful to do that when they are appreciative and grateful, rather than demanding and complaining, like most patients now days tend to be.

Today though, God had a special treat in store for me, as he gave me for a patient the most beautiful and sweet little old (yet energetic and charming) lady I've ever met. And to top it off, she was a Catholic Nun! We were talking about different things, and I was asking her questions about her faith, and then she asked me if I was "Christian." When I told her that I was indeed, she asked what denomination I belonged to. I smiled as I contemplated her question. "Are you sure you really want to know?" I asked. "Yes!" She eagerly responded. "I'm a Seventh-Day Adventist." I told her, waiting for her brow to furrow or her expression to cloud...but it didn't. She beamed. "That's awesome! I have some friends that are SDA and I HIGHLY respect Seventh-Day Adventist!" :-)

And so followed the most delightful day of conversations and interaction that I've had with any of my patients in a long time. She was in a lot of pain due to her illness that had hospitalized her, but not a word of complaint or griping did you hear. Her face was radiant as she shared about her life, and her faith. She definitely had (and still is) living for God with all her heart. I felt that I'd met a "kindred spirit," even if she was of a different faith and half a century ahead of me. But I also had to smile to myself...God does have a sense of humor, doesn't He?

But, somehow He knew that what I needed right now was a little Catholic Nun to remind me of the "joy of service despite pain and trials." I know she sure was an encouragement to me today, and I feel honored that God is letting me spend my last several days at Continental taking care of someone like her.

No comments: