Monday, November 13, 2006

Following the Creator's Call

Well...finally, the BIG NEWS!!! (No, I'm not engaged...nor am I even with anyone, so I am sorry to disappoint you friends afar that keep watching and hoping!) But the news is even better! :-) I believe God has finally led me to the ministry I've been praying for, and dreaming about for many years. It's a long story, actually, and if you want the details, let me know, and I'll fill you in.

But to make a long story short: Back at the AMEN conference that I attended in the end of September down in San Diego, David Gates made a challenge to all of us to more fully use the resources that God has given us to spread the gospel. (In this instance, that being web and t.v. media!) Well, as many of you know, I've been dreaming about and praying about starting a "youth network" for a couple years now. A network that focused on issues and needs that youth have, while at the same time providing them with a higher standard and mentoring directly from God's word. But while I've talked about my ideas with a few people, there has never been the time or resources to bring that dream together. Then at AMEN (which by the way, stands for Adventist Medical Evangelism Network), they decided to start a Health Network. I also have a huge burden for health ministry, especially in Preventative Lifestyle Education, and I believe with all my heart that it is the "right arm of the gospel" and we are not using our influence as we should. So I immediately volunteered and asked if I could be involved in this new organization, thinking this might be the direction God would lead me.

Eventually, a board member got back with me, and while she was excited about my enthusiasm, she said she'd have to get back with me to see if/and or/how that I could be involved. Well....time went on and I heard nothing. Meanwhile, my sister told me about a "youth network" that our friend Curtis had decided to start...also inspired at the AMEN conference. I was ecstatic to hear about this, and the next chance I got, I talked with Curtis about what his plans were, and about some ideas that I'd been brainstorming about. He was interested, and we planned to talk more. That was the next weekend I came back up to Loma Linda. I e-mailed him a list of programming ideas that I'd been thinking about and working on for awhile. He asked if I could come to the next volunteer meeting and present those ideas, and I did. Everyone was very receptive, and we talked about many more ideas and possible plans.

Since the hospital I've been working at in San Diego wasn't willing at the time, to renew my contract (they have since come and begged me to stay), I felt that God was leading me to move up to Loma Linda so that I could be more involved in either the youth network or AMEN. I prayed that whichever was God's best plan, He would open the doors that direction first. (My parents back in OK were rooting for Creator's Call - the youth network - while my family in AR was rooting for AMEN!)

Well, this past Sabbath, Curtis asked me to be the Director of Programming for Creator's Call. It's a position that would overwhelm me with it's vastness, except that I really believe this is where God is leading me, and I know that He is my sufficiency. I can do nothing of myself!!! And so instead of being overwhelmed, I am enthusiastic and excited about the possibilities ahead of us. In fact, I can't sleep completely through the night without waking up and thinking about all that there is to do...even with our limited resources. Of course, we are stepping out completely in faith as no one has the money or resources of their own, but I know that God is going to honor and provide as we help build a life-line of hope for youth.

I've taken my own step of faith in moving up here, since I do not have a job in this area yet, but that I believe God will provide as well.

So, that's my news! I guess that wasn't such a short version afterall. Anyway, all I can say is...God is sooooo good! If He hadn't brought me to CA to work, or if I hadn't been in San Diego, I wouldn't have attended AMEN, nor would I probably be one of the priviledged to get in on the ground-building work of this new ministry. Each step of my life, He has so perfectly orchestrated and planned, all I can do is say, "Praise God."

*Incidently, one of the AMEN board members called me the next day after I accepted the position with Creator's Call and earnestly requested that I take an "Administrative Assistant" position with the AMEN Network. And I dearly wanted to...as I believe in what they are seeking to do as well! Health Education, especially Preventative Lifestyle Education, is such a big interest of mine! However, I felt like God had directed me in the direction I should focus my life on, and that it would be counter productive to try to do both. So....the course of my future...determined by the difference of one day!

No comments: