Monday, September 24, 2007

I don't know about most people, but I've always been pretty decided and clear in my mind on what I want out of life. I always knew what I wanted to do (being a missionary in whatever capacity God directed), and I always knew what I wanted to be as a person. While sometimes the specifics of all the details towards these goals has been a little hazy, things have for the most part been pretty straight-forward and clear.

The same has been true in my personal life! While I consider myself to be pretty carefree and easy to get along with, I'm not one to float through life on the boat of indecision. Tell me what you want done, and I'll tell you how to do it. Tell me where you want to go, and I'll tell you the fastest way to get there. Ask me what my goals are or where I'll be in 6 months or 2 years, and I'll tell you what I'm planning! (Infact, people that fence-sit or wallow about in indecision have actually been hard for me to relate to. More on this later!)

Plans are a good thing...and I'll probably be making them for as long as I live on this earth. (How else would a fun-loving choleric melon like me stay entertained?) But I have to admit, I don't look at "Plans" with the same intensity that I use to, for I've learned that God's plans are not always our plans! In fact, as it's playing out in my own life, His Plans are BETTER!!!

When I was a Student Missionary in Guyana, back in 2001, I learned pretty quickly that I had to hold "my plans" with a loose grip. For there, things never went as planned! The Amerindians were always on a different time schedule than I was, the children always had other agenda's in school than I had, and the rainy season definately didn't cooperate with my plans. I realized first-hand that it's true when they say "The greatest skill a missionary needs is adaptability!" If you don't have that skill, or don't quickly learn to develop it, you WILL loose your mind! :-) Looking back, my time in Guyana, while full of challenges of faith and wit, has been one of the highlights of my life. And it was a major stepping stone in the journey that I'm on today. But, you don't have to be in some remote jungle village to continue to learn about being "flexible" and "adaptable" to God's call. And so God continues to teach me!

Yesterday, although small on the scale of "spiritual feats," was just one such learning day! And it was kinda a comical one at that! I was suppose to be working. I woke up and was just washing my face when the phone rang. "Melody, you've been called off today, so don't come to work!" "What? Really?" Ok...that was a surprise...and being a Contracted travel nurse, rarely happens. So now what? Hmmmm......

Valerie got up and went to start her "quiet time," and I began mine...with a little more leasure and carefree spirit since I was no longer rushed by a timeframe. Then the thought hit me, "Let's go climb a mountain today!!" We'd been talking about doing more climbing in the surrounding mountains, as I want to show Valeries some of the "scenic beauty" of this region. And I've been itching to go conqueor some more summits, but it seems like we never have enough time! Now it suddenly occurred to me that this would be the perfect opportunity. I enthusiastically went and told my great plan to Valerie. Valerie seemed willing and ready for adventure, although she wasn't as into the great plan as I. We talked for a bit, and I started researching options. We talked about taking the tram out of Palm Springs, and then hiking to Mt. San Jacinto, but then I discovered the tram had been closed recently for annual maintenance, so we weren't sure if it was open again or not. I began looking at other good hiking options in the area. Then Valerie brought up the idea of going to the beach.

Now to me, beaches are no big deal! It's almost like, "If you've been to one, you've been to them all!" They are fun to visit every now and then with friends, and I enjoy watching sunsets over the ocean. But just walking through the waves, and playing in the sand gets boring to me after a little while. And if there are lots of people around (which there are in Southern California!) it's actually kinda draining to me. I'd much rather get away to the peace and quiet of the mountains. But Valerie really wanted to go. Hmmmm....what was I to do? I knew she'd be adaptable with whatever plan I pushed for, yet at the same time, I knew that going to the beach was a real treat and special experience for her. So after a little deliberation, it was decided that we would go to the beach.

But then from there on out, this boat of indecision hit me. "Which beach were we going to go to, or would we drive down the coast and stop at several?" This one really perplexed me. "What was I to wear?" I tried on 3 or 4 outfits before I was satisfied. "What were we going to eat or take with us?" I mulled over that for awhile. "Should we invite another girlfriend to come with us or should we go alone?" I couldn't make-up my mind about anything...and when we finally drove away, about 15 minutes late, I was still feeling perplexed and unsettled. "What is the deal with you?" Valerie asked with worry in her eyes. "This is sooo unlike you?" I had to laugh. "I think my train got derailed and I'm struggling to get back on it! We should pray that God will give me an attitude adjustment."

The day at the beach, along with our wonderful friend MaryAnn, turned out to be great! We visited and sang to my bed-ridden Great-uncle along the way. We showed Valerie some scenic beach spots she hadn't been before. We talked about what it means to truly know and understand God, along with being inspired by a powerful sermon by CD Brooks. We had time to browse some touristy shops we could never visit on Sabbath's, and even treated ourselves to some gourmet sandwiches and treats. While it wasn't the quiet refreshing get-away that I'd envisioned or hoped for, it was better, for God taught me some new lessons about being a friend.

Yes, my goal (once I knew I had a free day) was to get up and go conqueor a mountain...and when that wasn't happening, it was difficult to re-group! (Hilariously so!) But I think that God's goal was that I have a little more sympathy to those that struggle with indecision, while at the same time, I learn to conqueor a mountain of another kind...the mountain of making the best of something that I don't necessarly enjoy! (I think He's still got a bit of work to do in this department...but I'm thankful He hasn't kicked me out of school yet!)

One day at a time..."For I have learned that in whatsoever state I am (whether Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, California, or on a mountain or at the beach), therewith to be content." Phil 4:11

2 comments:

History said...

Melody,
I have decided... this is well said... :)

from one indecisive phlegmatic

Melody said...

That was cute Julie! ;-) Glad you enjoyed it! We should have thought to invite you along as well.