Saturday, September 08, 2007

This morning as part of my devotions, I was reading in the book "Streams in the Desert." And it had some interesting insights on the purpose of trials in our lives. I quote:

----------

"Thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress." Psalms 4:1

This is one of the grandest testimonies ever given by man to the moral government of God. It is not a man’s thanksgiving that he has been set free from suffering: "Thou has enlarged me when I was in distress." He declares the sorrows of life to have been themselves the source of life’s enlargement.

It is written of Joseph in the dungeon that "the iron entered into his soul." We too need the iron to enlarge our nature. The gold is but a vision, but the iron is an experience. The chain which unites me to humanity must be an iron chain. The touch of nature which makes the world akin is not joy, but sorrow. Gold is partial, but iron is universal.

My soul if thou wouldst be enlarged into human sympathy, thou must be narrowed into limits of human suffering. Joseph’s dungeon is the road to Joseph’s throne. If Joseph had not been Egypt’s prisoner, he never would have been Egypt’s governor."

---------

As I read the above reflective thoughts on suffering, I’m reminded of one of my favorite verses from Joseph's experience.

"As for you, ye thought evil against me, but GOD MEANT IT FOR GOOD." Gen 50:20

And I am convinced all trials...no matter their nature, or what they seem to strip from us, are only meant to strengthen us and draw us closer to our Savior! Our biggest task is to yield, and to be surrendered, and allow the Master Potter to do His work in the clay of our hearts!

"Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now I have kept thy word. It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I might learn thy statutes." Ps 119:67,71

It is my prayer that I can always say, no matter what life brings...

"But now, O Lord, thou art our Father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we are all the work of thine hand." Isa 64:8

No comments: