Monday, September 10, 2007

They say that "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step..."

Well, this past weekend we visited the beach of "A thousand steps." I don't know if there actually were a "thousand" steps from the road down to the beach cove...but it sure felt like it...especially after going up and down them twice, and running halfway up them, the second time! ;-) Talk about some nice exercise. (My calf muscles are still recovering from the onslaught!)

The beach was actually a last minute idea of MaryAnn's, and so several of us decided we'd pack a tasty lunch and get away from the crowds and enjoy some peace and fresh air. However, it soon turned into a bigger gathering as more and more friends joined our group! But as they also say, "The more the merrier!" And it was a blast to have so many friends and fellow comrades along. It was also nice to be able to introduce Valerie to more of the awesome gang that I hang out with here in Loma Linda. I think with each passing day, she's getting more and more attached and having a harder time thinking of leaving. (At least I hope so! I really want her to stick around for awhile!!)

Anyway, as you can tell by the pictures....we had a really great time...from the great food, to playing in the waves, fighting over a ball, and singing and sharing together! While I think I still prefer the mountains over the beach...the beach is also peaceful and refreshing and has so many different lessons to teach about God.

In a book by Elizabeth Elliot called "The path of loneliness," I'm reminded of a beach illustration she uses about learning to surrender more fully to God:

So many of us are like a tiny sea-shell....clutching our little pool of water (self) inside, afraid to yield it up for fear that there will not be enough water to re-fill it. And yet...God has an infinite ocean of blessings....just waiting to pour upon us and re-fill our lives and hearts with, if we will only let go and be emptied of self...emptied of our little pool of stagnant water, and surrender to Him.

But "Surrender"....what a tough thing it is!! You can do it a thousand times...just like you can take a thousand steps...and yet, you have to keep doing it again and again, and again!! If you want to keep progressing forward, if you want to keep growing in your relationship with God...there's always another step to take...there's always another time to say "Lord, I surrender."

As I've realized more and more over the last few years, the essential need of "moment by moment surrender" I've come to appreciate more and more a song that Eric and Leslie Ludy sing. In fact, it's become a favorite part of my morning routine as I've set the song to be my alarm clock, gently pulling me from the world of slumber to the world of life...a life seeking to be daily surrendered to God. For those that haven't heard the song, I want to share it here...so that you too can be blessed and refreshed...

"I Surrender"
Lord I know you see this fear in my heart, of what my future holds.
I feel you simply ask if I can trust you more, give you control.
So I kneel before you now, and I offer everything...
Come and be the Lord of ALL...all I am or ever hope to be!
I surrender, I surrender...to the One, who loves me more than life!
I surrender, I surrender...Here's my heart, open it wide...
To the one that cannot be unfaithful, I now offer you all that I am.
I surrender, I surrender, from this day on, I'll be in your hand!
I've been living for myself, and now I want to live for you alone.
Come and help me when I am weak and when my path seems so unknown.
You will be beside me still, I know you want what's best for me...
So when I want to take control, Lord please come and help my unbelief!
I surrender, I surrender, to the One, who loves me more than life!
I surrender, I surrender, Here is my heart, open it wide...
To the One who cannot be unfaithful, I now offer you all that I am.
I surrender, I surrender, from this day on, I'll be in your hands...
From this day on....I'll be in your hands!

Somehow thinking of the tiny sea-shell...and the little water that it holds in comparison with the vast ocean, helps me keep in perspective the work that God wants to do in my own heart and life. So I continue to pray... "Lord, I surrender...from this day on...I am in your hands."

Yes, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...but none of us will get to the end of this journey unless we keep taking those steps... :-)

1 comment:

Staci said...

So well said! Elisabeth Elliott also calls those surrenders "little deaths". It is something I've been thinking a lot about lately and seeking to implement -- death to my desires and timing so God's will can be experienced in my life. I love that song by the Ludy's! Got the CD.