Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Dear Daughters,

I’m sitting in the living room at home listening to my favorite Sabbath CD and missing you guys. Dad is up working on his sermon for tomorrow. And since I have a few moments now, I thought I’d take advantage of them while I was thinking of you anyway.

So what profound thoughts do I have for you today? :-) Well, let’s see.... For quite a while now when I’ve been walking up to my office, I’ve noticed the little flower bed around the flag pole. I has needed to be weeded. Almost every time I would pass I would say to myself, “I need to week that flower bed.” Then I would think that I was too busy, or not dressed appropriately to do it that day, and thus the procrastination went on.

One morning this week I was passing by and the time just seemed to be right. The flower bed still needed to be weeded, and I was dressed for it. So I stopped to pull the weeds. But something had happened in the time that I had procrastinated. Can you imagine, those weeds had the audacity to grow and multiply! In fact, I found one area quite thick and difficult. I even thought that maybe I should leave it til I had a hoe or a shovel with me. But then decided to go ahead and do the rest of bed and try at it from the other side. Because there were now so many weeds, and they were bigger, it took much longer to do the job. If I had done the job when I first thought about it, it would have taken so much less time.

The lesson here really seems quite obvious...don’t procrastinate (a good one for me!) The rest is probably pretty obvious, too. Whenever there are weeds in our lives (habits, sins, ect), the more we procrastinate in seeking to remove them, the more entangled they become and the more difficult to remove. In fact they will also destroy good things in the process of removal. Jesus said, today if you hear My voice...Now is the day of Salvation...when it came to the flower bed, the consequences of procrastination were very small, a few more moments of extra work. When it comes to spiritual procrastination, the consequences are vastly different because they deal with eternal implications.

So, those are my profound thoughts for this week. Hope they were a blessing. I miss you guys, and pray that God will continue to work deeply in your lives.

Love, Mom

*More profound insights from a very wise mother! I'm soo grateful for what she continues to teach me, and how she makes practical life come alive spiritually!!

No comments: