Saturday, January 20, 2007

All is Vanity...

Friday night a friend invited me to their place for supper and a Bible study. And the chapter they happened to be studying was Ecclesiastes 1. Wow! Haven't looked at Ecclesiastes for awhile.

"Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher, vanity of vanitites; all is vanity." vs 2

"What profit had a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun? One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth forever...the thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun." vs 3,9

"And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knoweth increaseth sorrow." vs 18

And so chapter 1 ends. Very sobering huh? :-/

Then I went to church Sabbath and guess what we were studying? Ecclesiastes 2!

Solomon begins, "I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards: I made me gardens and orchards, and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits...I got me servants and maidservants...I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of provinces...Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, ALL was VANITY and VEXATION of spirt, and there was no profit under the sun."

In essence again, All is vanity, all is vanity!

So what is the point of life anyway? What is the point of the hurrying and worrying and scurrying about? Why must we keep doing the same things our ancestors did? Unless we find a different path, we really can't hope for more can we? It's all vanity!

Needless to say, I am becoming increasingly convinced that it's time I break away from the traditional and do something very untraditional, and in fact, preposterious! (At least in most people's eyes!)

My increasing hunger and thirst is to but know His will...to do His will. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you..."

"Father, may I not rob your kingdom of any more of your glory by seeking my own selfish will!"

No comments: