Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Making snail time...


Yesterday morning as I was out walking, I happened upon a beautiful snail slowly slithering across my path! He was such a pretty site that I decided to run back to the apartment and get my camera. But I needn't have rushed. He was in no big hurry. :-)

Afterwards I was thinking about how we are like "snails." I know that is a funny comparison, but just think of it! God has incredible treasures in His Word, in the Paradise that He is preparing for us, and most importantly...IN HIS LOVE!!! Yet, we are just taking our time waddling along, in no big hurry to get there. We get distracted with this, or we have to do that! Always something important that gets in our way and keeps us from moving forward. We are just like snails!! But the incredible thing is that He has given us FEET to RUN...FEET to MOVE FORWARD!! But, we don't use them most of the time. We'd rather take our time. We'd rather slither along!!!

If we only know what glory awaits us, if we only knew what heaps of joy He longs to pour upon our souls!

So many times I've been a snail...making slow haste in seeking God's promised land, but just content and at ease, in no big hurry. Yet when I finally do get to the treasures He's had waiting for me, when I finally do fall into His arms of Love, I'm aghast that it took me soo long!

Do I see impatience or anger upon His face?? Does he irritatedly ask, "What took soooo long?" No...He simply holds me close and whispers, "Welcome my child! I'm sooooo glad you came! Here, take my robe. I have a banquet table waiting...and I made it just for YOU!!"

"Oh Lord, why did I take soooo long??!"

1 comment:

Rachel and Eric Nelson said...

Melody, Rachel likes snails too and thinks they look very peaceful slithering along. For a recent evangelistic series she wanted to use a similar picture of a snail with the song "It is well." I wouldn't let her for fear it would bring on too much laughter... But she insisted the snail looked so peaceful, with no worries...

God bless, eric