Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Rumblings of greater things to come...

What a beautiful last couple weeks it has been as I've been able to take more time for reflection and study in God's Word. Maybe it has to do with the fact I am in between travel nurse jobs and I can actually take more then the usual allotment of time from my daily schedule...or maybe it has to do with the fact that the Lord is simply drawing me closer to Himself in answer to my prayers of longing!

Yesterday, as I've been continuing to review the "Set-Apart Life" series of Bible studies, I was on the section called "Consecration." It talked about the 10 commandments in more depth...it was sooo beautiful and thrilling. (Well, yes, it was scary and convicting too! But as you see yourself more in your true light and inadequacies, you also see God more in His true glory!!!)

"And all the people saw the thundersings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off. And they said unto Moses, speak thou with us, and we will hear, but let not God speak with us, lest we die. And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not." Exodus 20:20

This afternoon, while I was sitting here at my desk, the doors and windows started shaking. While I have felt tremors here and there, it was the most noticeable earthquake I've felt since I've been here. (I know it was an earthquake, because not long after, I looked it up on the web, and the epicenter was only like 20 miles from here!) Kinda sent shivers up my back. But what is that compared to the shaking of God on Mt Sinai, and the shaking He is longing to do in our hearts? His desire is not to consume us, but to consume sin...so that nothing will come between us and Him.

Following is a letter from our King in the paraphrased words of one of his humble servants. I thought it was convicting, yet beautiful, so wanted to share it here.

"I am holy, dear one. I am a consuming fire of righteous perfection, and anything unlike me, anything that bears even the slightest traces of the flesh will turn to ash in my presence. If I but hear its rustlings in thy being, you can not partake of me. If I but smell the lingering aroma of worldliness on thy garments, you can have no part in me. If there be even the subtle stain of sin's imperfection upon thine hands, then you will die in my presence. I am holy. And I will always be holy, for a thousand forevers, I will still be holy.

But because I love thee, I have made a way for thee. It is a way into my holy presence. Through the thunderings and lightnings of my righteousness, I have invited thee. Through the waters of baptism, the cleansing of my blood, and the veil of my flesh, into my most holy dwelling. For only clean hands and a pure heart will secure you in my presence.

But first, dear one, it is necessary that I acquaint you with this fiery chamber of my love. To enter here, thou must be clean. Thou must be purged of all sin. The flesh about thy heart must be removed as a covenant symbol of our marriage. Thou must leave thy people. Thou must leave thy comforts of home, leave thy every possession behind, and even thy own name must be abandoned if thou are to partake of my life. To enter this fiery chamber, thou must allow me to possess thy life and burn away all that which separates you from me. Thou must allow me to refine you like the gold's of Ophir, that you may enter in with me and be my spotless bride.

To eat of my flesh and drink of my blood in such a holy communion, is the most sacred of all sacred activities in all this Cretion of mine. For me to be in thee, and for thee to be in me, this is a mystery hidden for ages and generations, but only now revealed to those of my most sacred fellowship. But to be my own, purchased of my blood, and bearing my very name, this is the most supreme and sacred delight.

I love you dear one, and that is why I must prove you with fire. But do not be afraid, just yield yourself to me. I will only purge away that which would keep you from me. I will make you clean, and you will be my bride, my spotless bride."

*From the inspiring pen of Eric Ludy - Copyright 2007. www.setapartlife.com

No comments: