Sunday, May 13, 2007

Came upon this reading this morning in the book "Streams in the Desert." And I have to smile, because time and time again, I've seen these things to be true in my own life and prayers!

I share it because I hope it will also be a blessing and encouragement to all of you!

-----------------------

Much that perplexes us in our Christian experience is but the answer to our prayers. We pray for patience, and our Father sends those who tax us to the utmost; for "tribulation worketh patience."

We pray for submission, and God sends sufferings; for "we learn obedience by the things we suffer." We pray for unselfishness, and God gives us opportunities to sacrifice ourselves by thinking on the things of others, and by laying down our lives for the brethren.

We pray for strength and humility, and some messenger of Satan torments us until we lie in the dust crying for its removal.

We pray, "Lord increase our faith," and money takes wings; or the children are alarmingly ill; or a servant comes who is careless, extravagant, untidy or slow, or some hitherto unknown trial calls for an increase of faith along a line where we have not needed to exercise much faith before.

We pray for the Lamb-like life, and are given a portion of lowly service, or we are injured and must seek no redress; for "He was led as a lamb to the slaughter...and opened not his mouth."

We pray for gentleness, and there comes a perfect storm of temptation to harshness and irritability. We pray for quietness, and every nerve is strung to the utmost tension, so that looking to Him we may learn that when He giveth quietness, no one can make trouble.

We pray for love, and God sends peculiar suffering and puts us with apparently unlovely people, and lets them say things which rasp the nerves and lacerate the heart; for love suffereth long and is kind, love is not impolite, love is not provoked. Love beareth all things, believeth, hopeth and endureth. Love never faileth.

We pray for likeness to Jesus, and the answer is, "I have chosen thee in the furnance of affliction." "Can thine heart endure, or can thine hands be strong."

The way to peace and victory is to accept every circumstance, every trial, straight from the hand of a loving Faither; and to live up in the heavenly places, above the clouds, in the very presence of the throne, and to look down from the glory upon our environment as lovingly and divinely appointed.

-Author Unknown-

--------------------------

The moral of the story, "Be careful what you pray for, because you just might get it!!!" ;-)

I say that kinda jokingly, but seriously, as I am learning...God knows better than ourselves what we need, and due to some painful experiences in my life, I once tried to tie God's hands behind His back (if that is possible) and I told God, I don't want any more growth if it involves pain. While my life did not instantly become free of trial and pain...it did slowly become free of meaning and real joy, for I had limited God! I was not willing to allow God to send me things to help me grow, and when He did...I resented them.

Finally within this last year I have been able to release God's hands (as if I ever had them tied anyway) and tell Him, "God...no matter what you send me in my life, I want to grow and be close to YOU!!!! If it involves pain, I'm willing, if it involves trials and sacrifice I am willing......please don't let me limit what you want to do in my life! No matter what you bring, I will trust you!!!! My greatest goal is simply to be close to YOU!!!"

Since I've prayed that prayer.....well.....there's been some more trials and tears, but there is a peace that passeth understanding, and I know that He's only allowing what is for my best good!!!! The refining process!!! And I just praise Him!!!!

"We know not what we should pray for as we ought..." Rom 8:26

No comments: