Thursday, May 10, 2007

My Utmost for His Highest

Recently I've been reading a book by V. Raymond Edman called, "They found the Secret" - 20 Transformed lives that reveal a Touch of Eternity. From the testimonies of John Bunyan, to Dwight L. Moody, to Amy Carmichael, Hudson Taylor and many others, it has truly been a breath of inspiration and encouragement for the "higher calling" God has for each of us! Today the testimony I read about was that of Oswald Chambers, author of one of the most spiritually influential books of the last century, "My Utmost for His Highest."

Writing regarding Chambers testimony, the author notes: "The Almighty creates no desires deep in the human soul that He cannot Himself satisfy." A simple statement, but with profoundly deep meaning!

How amazing I thought, as I read. And how true!!!! HE HIMSELF does SATISFY!!!! Every longing, every need...while our petitions may not always be granted according to what we "think" we need....He truly does fill our needs according to His best plans...with HIMSELF!!! If only we had eyes to see!!

"But my God shall supply all your needs, according to His riches, in Glory by Christ Jesus." Phil 4:19

"I am the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh to the father but by me!" John 14:6

"I am come that they might have life and have it more ABUNDANTLY." John 10:10

But the inspiration doesn't stop there. How do we attain the spiritual heights of bliss and victory? The author continues:

Climbing in the Spirit is accomplished not by running, but by kneeling. It's accomplished not by sheer will power and determination, but by surrender. Despair of self leads to utter desperation, but beyond the mist lies the sunshine of God's presence. Many a soul will turn back to accustomed marshlands of defeat rather than brave the fogs of frustration...but it is by braving those very fogs that their victory is almost won!

Yes, as my friends Eric and Leslie have shared again and again, it's sooo easy to settle for spiritual mediocrity...to pitch our tents short of the promised land...just as long as they are pitched a few feet ahead of our comrades! (Afterall, if I think I am doing better than 99% of the rest of the professed Christians around me, isn't that good enough??) But No! No! No!!!! That's not what God intended. He longs to give us sooo much more...but as long as we keep striving in our own power and our own strength, we will never make it. It is only as we come to the realization of the utter helplessness of our strength and our utter inablity (is that a word) to fight the battle and climb the mountain...then, THEN, the real journey has just began!!!

So Oswald Chambers testimony has reminded me once again, the strongest man (or woman) is not the one with the biggest muscles or the most preached sermons...it's the one that knows how to stay surrendered and on their knees!

My prayer today: "Search me O God, and know my heart. Try me and know my thoughts, and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting..." Ps 139:23,24

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's an awesome book! (well both of them..."They Found the Secret" and "My Utmost for His Highest"