Thursday, October 26, 2006

Fallen, but not cast down!

This last three days of work has been one of the busiest and most hectic of my time here. Seems I have been running constantly, have had lots of admissions (which is unusual since I didn't have any for the first 2 months I was here), have had very seriously sick patients, have had very little help since we are under-staffed, and often can't even get to all the tedious paper charting until late afternoon due to continual emergencies, thus I have been leaving work late every night.

Well, on one particular harried day (I think it was Monday), I had just drawn some blood cultures and had needles and viles in both my hands. As I stepped away from the bed, my feet got tangled in the call-light cords and since my hands were full of very precious cargo, I had nothing to catch myself, so I crashed out full force on my right side to the hard tile floor. Of course it was a horrific crash, and everyone came to see what had fallen - only me, of course, the tall green giant! I may not be the most athletic, but I am usually good with my feet, so it's been many a year since I've had such a fall...and my bones and joints don't take so kindly to such now (at the splendid age of 30) as they did when I was a teen. Ouch, that hurt!!! :-(

I pulled myself and my pride off the floor very slowly...bottles and needles still intact. At first I thought it was going to be my knee that would hurt me, since I had skinned the side of it in the fall. But no, it was my lower back. I hobbled around like an old lady the rest of the afternoon, and the next morning, my back hurt so badly to sit up, I didn't think I could get out of bed. But stubborness kicked in, and I made myself get up anyway! And as the day wore on, the stiffness and pain lessened. (I've been to a Chiropractor now and am feeling much better!)

There have been many difficult and yet faith-building circumstances in my life lately it seems. And sometimes I am tempted to get overwhelmed. But the experience of my fall reminded me of a verse in Psalms that I memorized many years ago. "The steps of a good [woman] are ordered by the Lord and he delighteth in [her] way. Though [she] fall, [she] shall not be utterly cast down for the Lord upholdeth [her] with his hand." Ps 37:23,24 (Feminine aspects added)

So, despite the fall, and despite the trials...I thank God that he holds me safely in his hands!

No comments: