Sunday, June 24, 2007

Morning reflections...and updates!

Quote for the Week
"Unbelief allows circumstances to come between us and God!
Faith puts God between us and circumstances!"
From Doug Batchelor via a friend
~

The soft morning breeze, so crisp and refreshing, beckoned me from my peaceful slumber. I could hear the birds singing softly outside in the trees, as the first rays of sunshine began to creep over the distant hills. Should I stay in bed and continue to seek rest? After all, this was SUNDAY! Or should I get up and welcome in the new day? Grabbing my blankets, Bible, and several books of inspirational, I chose the latter and headed for the patio swing. It was 5:30 am!

Yes, I admit, it was a bit early for a Sunday morning....but with a roommate in tow (that isn't always quiet and often needs supervision), I have been feeling more and more taxed as my times for quiet time and inspiration are often being disturbed! As I read inspiration, Jesus too was taxed.....for the multitude pressed about him. Yet, He made His time in the early hours of the morning to connect with His Heavenly Father. And as a result?

"From the hours spent alone with God He came forth, morning by morning, to bring the light of Heaven to the world." Ministry of Healing 56

If Jesus needed this quiet respite....how much more should we?

"All who are under the training of God need the quiet hour for communion with their own hearts, with nature, and with God. In them is to be revealed a life that is not in harmony with the world, its customs, or its practices; and they need to have a personal experience in obtaining a knowledge of the will of God. We must individually hear Him speaking to the heart. When every other voice is hushed, and in quietness we wait before Him, the silence of the soul makes more distinct the voice of God. He bids us, "Be still and know that I am God." Psalms 46:10. This is the effectual preparation for all labor for God. Amidst the hurrying throng, and the strain of life's intense activities, he who is thus refreshed will be surrounded with an atmosphere of light and peace. He will receive a new endowment of both physical and mental strength. His life will breathe out fragrance, and will reveal a divine power that will reach men's hearts." MH 58

Oh, if we as a people, could only grasp this beautiful connection....our need for true connection and looking up to our source of strength each day! What difference might be seen in our daily lives! What advancements might be more readily made for the cause of God??

This morning, I was blessed as I continued in my study of The Baptism of the Holy Spirit. (A booklet by Dennis Smith.) I wish I could get all my friends to read it and catch the excitement of what God is seeking to do in our lives!

A few brief thoughts I want to share from my reading this morning:

"There are two purposes for the infilling of the Holy Spirit: to reflect Jesus in our life (I John 3:24, II Cor 3:3) and to gain power for witnessing (Acts 1:8).

Couldn't get more plain and simple than that, huh?! And that's exactly what we need.....to more fully reflect Jesus...and to be effective witnesses for Him!!!!!

All who are ready to meet Christ when He returns will have had God's law sealed or written in their hearts (Isa 8:16). All who have God's law written in their hearts will have received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit..."

"A great many think because they have been filled once, they are going to be full for all time after; but O, my friends, we are leaky vessels, and have to be kept right under the fountain all the time in order to keep full...Let us keep near Him." They Found the Secret pg 85

"All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart work with Christ. And if we consent, He will consent, He will identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. When we know God, as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to us." Baptism of the Holy Spirit pg 38

I love that last part....through the work of the Holy Spirit in our hearts....we will be empowered and enabled to live His complete will....but it's not just His will....it's our will as well...for our hearts have been changed to be sooo in tune with Him that His desires are now OUR DESIRES!! :-)

Weekend Updates

The last few days have been good and challenging both! Friday evening Alisha and I came head to head over an issue of a friend that came to visit. I had told her that she could hang out with her friend for a couple hours in the afternoon, but come 7pm, we would be going to "singing bands" so that would be it. She knows the Sabbath is a day to be set-apart and she is not allowed to do her usual play. Well...as fate would have it, "Mr Friend" did not arrive on the scene till 15 minutes before we were to leave for singing bands. So, although she has loved singing bands in the past, she decided she did not want to go this time! I told her that "Mr Friend" was welcome to come with us...but I would not be leaving her with him to goof off for the evening. Well, that went over like a lead balloon......and she was most unhappy with me! But, since there were no other options (and she doesn't want to move-out yet, so knows she has to stick with the program) she convinced "Mr Friend" to come along! I prayed fervently for both of them as we drove the 1/4 mile over to the hospital, for with sour attitudes, I knew this could be a tough evening! However, praise the Lord....they both ended up enjoying themselves immensley! And "Mr. Friend" returned with us home to visit for a little bit before his ride came to get him....in which time I was able to talk to him a little and share the booklet The Five Big Questions about Life by Mark Finley. Nothing is by chance, and although his presence added some stress for the evening...I kept praying that He would be touched and impacted by the encounter! (Please continue to pray for "Mr. Friend.")

After it was all said and done that night, Alisha hugged me and apologized for her behavior and thanked me for making her go with me! And I heaved a sigh of praise heavenward as I wiped the sweat off my brow! (Well....there wasn't literal sweat, but it sure felt like it!) ;-)

The rest of the weekend went well....the Advent Hope services and Sabbath school were a blessing, as usual! The potluck was good although I don't even know if what I made tasted good....but since it (stuffed potatoes) all disappeared rather rapidly, I assume it was ok! Then in the afternoon, my dear friends, TJ and Maryann convinced Alisha to come along for an afternoon of adventures up in the mountains. She mostly spent the time on her phone...but at least she got some fresh air! We hiked up to the meadow off the "South Forks Trail" where we've had mountain church with Advent Hope and other youth in the past. It was great!

The evening ended with a gorgeous sunset as we drove back down into the valley....

And now we have begun a new week!!! I was planning to go do gardening again with some of the "gang"....but got caught up in my reading and studies, so that didn't happen afterall! But the fresh air was invigorating, the singing of the birds refreshing, and the needed strength and words of encouragement in my reading, timely! So....no regrets....just thankful for a new day and a new week to grow closer to my Lord and my Redeemer!

No comments: