Monday, June 18, 2007

A week of Adventures with Hollands!

Well...it's hard to believe, but our week with Hollands, visiting from Oklahoma, is already up and over! I still can't believe how quickly it went! :-( But we packed in as much excitement as we possibly could...so now, we have another collection of wonderful memories to savor until Jesus comes back and helps us make better ones!

Here's a little over-view to go with the photo's above!

Monday - June 11th - 5:20pm

Mr. and Mrs. Holland land in Ontario CA airport and text me notifying us of their arrival! Since we're not at the airport yet, I jokingly text them back that "We apologize that we can't be there to meet you and you'll have to hitch-hike back to Loma Linda!" Of course they know when Mel is trying to pull their leg, so they don't take me too seriously, and by the time they get their baggage, we have circled the airport 3 times waiting for them. So we are all re-united with hugs and excitement! They are hungry, so we hit a "Baja Fresh" near Loma Linda before going grocery shopping for the week and taking them home for the "grand tour." It's such a blast to have them here and also to finally get to show them our little cozy home!!

Tuesday - June 12th

I had originally planned to take Hollands up the tram and hiking on Mt San Jacinto, but Sunny isn't a huge hiking fan....at least not looooong distances, so we had decided to do something more relaxing. But then when Mrs. Holland arrived, she tells us that hiking up San Jacinto is the thing she was looking forward to more than anything else! (Of course, I am all game!) So finally mid-day we decide that is what we are going to do and we take off for Palm Springs. Much to my chagrin, we don't actually start hiking til around 1:30pm. The ranger station tells me that the hike to the summit is a 6-8 hour round trip, but I keep the news to myself, encouraging everyone that we can make it there and back before dark! And we do!! Mrs. Holland and I made it to the top.....and Sunny and Mr. Holland would have if we'd had another hour to spare. But we were definately pushing our time limits! However, we made it back to the tram station in a record 5 hours and 30 minutes, so we beat the ranger's predictions! ;-) I thought everyone did really well....but I forget sometimes that these Oklahomians don't have such mountains to climb, so this was a real work-out, and they were feeling it for the rest of the vacation! But....they asked for it!!! So, what can I say! ;-)

Wednesday - June 13th

After another slow start lazy morning, we head to the beach near Costa Mesa (Mr. Holland's old stomping grounds), but before we get there, we are getting hungry so have to stop and eat. Mr. Holland and Sunny want to go to P.F. Changs. (I've only been there once before on my "doctor date" and wasn't that impressed with the food) But this time is better...especially the dessert - Banana Spring rolls with Ice-cream! ;-) Then we walk around a little through the outdoor open mall called "Fashion Island." What a fitting name! They have a "Neumann Marcus" which I've heard people have bought $400 dollar shoes at! I don't believe it so want to see for myself. The first shoes I picked up cost $395, and Sunny found a pair for $1,500! I am like totally blown away!!!!! Even most underwear cost over $100 there! Is this real?? I guess everyone will know now that this isn't my level of living or spending! ;-/ All I can think the whole time is, "Man, what a waste! Imagine how all the money people spend here could be going to help finish God's work so he could come back...?" We browse around a few more places like "Make a teddy bear factory" etc, then realize it's already 3:30pm and we need to be heading back to Loma Linda since Mr. Holland has prayer meeting at Advent Hope. We barely make it back in time! Prayer meeting goes well...It's neat to hear him preach again! His sermon title "Do you want to be a millionare?" makes me think of all the vanity we'd seen during the day! It also convicts me again of our need to give ALL for the Pearl of Great price!


Thursday - June14th

Mr. Holland and I, along with Maryann and her father (who is also visiting) take off bright and early for the San Diego zoo for a Father/daughter date day! We have a blast, and of course, I take tons of pictures!!!! Makes me wonder what Heaven will be like when all the creatures can play together freely. My favorite of the day are the Cheetah and dog that have been raised together, and then the Polar Bear exhibit where we actually get in on some pretty exciting action! I'm thankful there is a thick glass between us and them! (Mrs. Holland and Sunny enjoy a relaxing day back in Loma Linda!)

Friday - June 15th

Lazy morning.....go to the Drayson for Racquetball.... Mr. Holland and I go fruit grocery shopping for the evening.....and then after lunch, most of the afternoon I spend making fruit pizza's for our gang of friends coming over for supper and vespers. I'm a little worried since I was suppose to pick up Alisha today, but haven't been able to get ahold of her since Wednesday. During vespers, as we are sharing different things God has done for us, or songs we want to sing, I come across Mrs. Holland and I's signature duet song that we've done together many times over the years. So we sing it together again....but the tears are flowing as my heart breaks for Alisha and others that still don't REALLY know Jesus....and I can hardly get through it.

The words go like this:

"If I could have one wish I know just what I'd like to find,
If I could have one dream come true before my eyes.
More than a pot of gold, more than a pathway to the stars,
More than anything I know, I want Jesus in your heart!

If I could paint a picture in my mind of what I'd like to see,
If I could take you once inside my deepest dreams...
More than a treasure's goal, more than a comet traveling far,
More than anything I know, I want Jesus in your heart!

He's more than all the world can give, when He truly comes to live in your heart.
Why do you try to search for more, when He's all you're looking for, in your heart...

If I could have one wish I know just what I'd like to find,
If I could have one dream come true before my eyes.
More than a pot of gold, more than a pathway to the stars,
More than anything I know...I want Jesus, I really want Jesus, I want Jesus in your heart!"

Sabbath - June 16th

My favorite day of the week - what a blessing to fellowship and be inspired. After the main services at Advent Hope, and a scrumptious potluck with friends, I return to listen to Elder Bostrom share about "making Sabbath a delight." The rest of my family decides they want to go to the mountains again, so they enjoy their delights out in nature while I glean ideas and tips for future special Sabbath's. :-) Then we close the Sabbath with some hearty singing and more good fellowship. And I return to join my family for the evening.

Sunday - June 17th

Starts off bright and early (6:30 am) as I head to Jonathan's Z's (along with several others) to pull weeds and prepare more gardening lots. While I already have all the tomatoe, squash and pepper plants I think I need in my own back patio, it's good to work with other young adults that are digging into the dirt and learning how to grow their own food. I don't have space for fruit tree's though, so maybe I can contribute some of those to this new joint/group endeavor that I was invited to be a part of. Hollands and Sunny come over to eat breakfast with us, then we take off to the coast to meet Ken (one of Mr. Holland's best friends from childhood.) After another scrumptious healthy meal at the "Souplantation" we head to the mountains to hike. However, we have to drive in 4 miles of very bumpy rutted road to get to the trail head (at about 10mph) and I get deathly carsick. Then once we get there, we realize you need a "forest adventure pass" (which no one has) so we have to promptly turn around and drive out! I am miserable......but somehow manage to survive until we get home! (The only bright spot from my afternoon is that Alisha finally calls, and I know that she is safe! I will pick her up on Tuesday again!)

Monday - June 18th

Can't believe it's been a whole week! I get tears in my eyes thinking about Holland's leaving! While they enjoy their last relaxing morning before they have to go back to work, I pull weeds and water my own backyard garden of vegetables and flowers. We get a rare treat as we get to talk with my sister Rita in Romania over the internet phone! It's great to hear her voice! Sunny leaves to go back to work mid-day, and then I take Hollands to "Chipotle's" for a scrumptious burrito! We all agree that we've eaten out more this week then we have this whole entire last year, but it's been fun to show them some of our favorite restuarants and food. Finally, they pack their bags and I drive them back to the airport! And before I know it, they are off! I try to act grown-up and hide my tears, but they know me too well. I am just too much a family person....and parting is one of the hardest things I ever do! I cry as I drive home! But it's been a good week, and at least I'll see them again in late July when I fly home to spend some time in Arkansas and Oklahoma, and travel with them to ASI! If only time didn't go soooo quickly.....but then again.....I'm just thankful for the time God does give us together! And I want it to go quickly, so that He will come back and take us HOME!!! Then, they'll be no more tears....and no more parting.....and no more pain of separation!

As I'm finishing this post, they call me on the phone to notify me that they have arrived back in Oklahoma safely! (I secretly wish I'd snuck inside one of their bags and gone back with them!) Their flight was delayed, but thankfully, they made it safely! That's what's important!

And now...I must close as I prepare for this new week - getting Alisha on a schedule, working on CCBN projects, and traveling up to Northern CA on a road-trip, possibly some filming and more adventures!!

God is gooooooood!!!! And Happy is that people whose God is Lord!!! Ps 144:15

No comments: