Thursday, June 21, 2007

One day at a time...

Well Alisha is back with me again - PTL! I went and picked her up yesterday from Victorville. She'd been having quite a tough time of it, and even ended up spending a couple nights on the streets, but since she didn't have her phone, she had no way of contacting me. (Thus the lapse in communication!) She hadn't slept hardly any the last couple days before I picked her up...So, bless her heart, she went to sleep on my shoulder during prayer meeting last night. But she said she was really glad to be back with us again! However old habits are hard to break. While she knows her old crowd and friends aren't good influences on her, she's still very controlled and pulled their direction and keeps getting herself into fixes!!!! Yes, she says she wants to follow God and learn how to be a Christian (and I believe she does), but it seems like it's difficult for her to see how her lifestyle isn't helping her that direction. Either that, or she just doesn't want to see it, at this point!! I keep praying that God will give me wisdom to know how to love her better, how to reach her, and how to help her learn to make God a part of everyday practical life.

There is soooo much to think about!! She's got severe severe depression.....I used the Nedley test to see where she was, and as I expected she's off the charts. So, with her cooperation, we're gonna work through the "Nedley Depression Recovery Program" together. We managed to get her up bright and early this morning for her sunshine and fresh air (a walk with Dafne up the street), then went over to the Drayson for a couple hours and helped her learn how to use the exercise equipment and her lungs! With a little encouragement, she did real well! I was proud of her. Then after I got a lunch packed, we headed to Newport Beach area to enjoy some time in the sun and waves. We're gonna be feeling that for a few days though since we both got royally scorched. (This mother hen failed in her duty to apply the sunscreen, obviously!) We finished the evening off with "golden grahams and smoothies" at Maryann's as TJ was on call tonight.

I've been investigating some options for her to get her GED and then possibly get her CNA certification since she says she wants to be in the medical field...and this would give her some really good exposure, before she committed to the long haul of getting a Nursing license or more. We're also gonna start working on helping her get a driving permit/license. Ho hum.....can you tell that Melody is gonna be busy?? Yeah, I need lots and lots of prayers, because I'm realizing more and more what a task I have cut out for me.....not just in helping her spiritually.....but overall, getting a start in life! I have to admit that I get a little "battle weary" every now and then though....and tonight may be one of those times. But...I have to keep reminding myself...one day at a time...

Up until this week, I had been planning to go with Jen Mundall and friends to climb Whitney, but since Alisha isn't up to the climb and has no good options right now, I'm not going to be doing that after all. Kinda bummed in one sense......yet I know that her life and salvation is more important than my reaching the top of Whitney. And they'll probably be another opportunity for Whitney some day! So we're looking for some more feasible options for Alisha! She loves the great outdoors, thankfully, so even a walk in the park is better than nothing. But I'm thinking about taking her on a little road trip and doing some more sightseeing, maybe even going up to Yosemite to meet Jen's group on Wednesday, and then we'd go with them on up to WYC. But we're still working out the details for that.

As I said....one day at a time....and today's been a full day....and I need to get Alisha off the computer and to bed....and so that means that I must get off too! (Consistency is a big deal for kids, as I clearly remember!) So....

Until next time...."One day at a time...dear Jesus, that's all I'm asking from you...."

No comments: