Thursday, June 28, 2007

A letter from Mom Holland to her girls...and a Parable to remember!



Dear Daughters,

Last Tuesday night I mowed the lawn out back...the grass has been growing so much we can’t keep up with it. With all the rain that we’ve gotten we have lots of frogs. Little ones in the grass as I would mow....And as I was mowing, these frogs would get in the way of the mower. There was one frog that hopped out in front of the mower on top of a piece of grass. I guess he thought that he had gotten out of the way, but if I would have kept going I would have mowed right over him (YUK!), so I stopped and caught him and moved him out of the way. Then there was the frog that was really moving to get out of there. He didn’t stop to look back or rest on top of the grass. He was moving as fast as he could to get himself out of the way. Then there was the frog that was just in front of me and was not moving. So I stopped to catch him, but he ran away scared. But the problem was that he ran the wrong way back into the grass that I was still going to be mowing. I never saw him again, so don’t know if he became mince meat or not. :( All of these frogs gave me cause to think as I was mowing. What was the spiritual application of all of this.

I likened the frogs to people and the mower to temptation, or the Devil. And I guess I would be representing God. Some people just try to stay out front of temptation...not too far away, but hopefully not getting caught. Then God gives them a little boost to get out of the way before the devil takes their life. Then there are others that are running from the devil and his temptations as fast as they can...they see the devil as a roaring lion (lawn mower) seeking whom he may devote. The other group seem kind of oblivious to the whole thing...they don’t see the danger and are just sitting there in the devils way, when God tries to help them they run away because they are afraid of Him. And of course, they run the wrong way.

I have been reading off and on a little booklet that ASI sent me called “Steps to the Upper Room.” It has some pretty powerful (scary) quotes in it. Here is one that I read today that really stands out to me. It is from Great Controversy p. 601

“We are living in the most solemn period of this world’s history. The destiny of earth’s teeming multitudes is about to be decided. Our own future well-being and also the salvation of other souls depend upon the course, which we now pursue. We need to be guided by the Spirit of truth. Every follower of Christ should earnestly inquire: ‘Lord, what wilt Thou have me to do?’ We need to humble ourselves before the Lord, with fasting and prayer, and to meditate much upon His word, especially upon the scenes of the judgment. We should now seek a deep and living experience in the things of God; the foe is lurking near, ready at any moment, should you become lax and drowsy, to spring upon you and make you his prey.”

Wow! How much God needs to open my eyes to how things really are. It is so easy for me to sleep and think that everything is ok. But everything is NOT ok. The end of the world is upon us. Oh, I pray that I will more forcibly understand that and all that it implies, and I pray that earnestly for you as well.

I hope this day has been one to draw you closer to the Savior. You are each precious to me. :)

Much Love,
Mom

*Mel's note - "I am sooo thankful for Mrs. Holland! And the parable of the frogs, I will never forget!"

No comments: