Monday, October 22, 2007

The Refiner's Fire...

As I type this post, I can smell the thick scent of smoke in the air. Yes, as most of you probably know by the news reports...Southern California is smoking! And it's no joking matter. Over 200,000 people (some I even know) have already been evacuated from their homes...and some 90+ thousand acres have already gone up in smoke just in the last 2 days. In fact, as you saw in the picture above...when I step out my doorway, I can actually see the glow of fire up on the mountain across the valley from Loma Linda. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has already declared a number of counties to be in a "State of Emergency" and they say these fires are already worse than the fires of 2003. (Hmmmm.....I wasn't here then, but I guess that means these are pretty bad!)

Whatever the case...we know as time gets closer to the END, that more and more trials and calamities are going to fall upon the earth.

Is it any coincidence...our Church lesson study this quarter is titled, "The Refiner's Fire"? My housemate Susy was just watching the Hope Channel while she ate supper this evening, and the speaker was talking about the "fires of tribulation" that are going to strengthen us for God's coming. (This sermon was filmed last week...so no pun planned regarding California!) I also just started reading the booklet by Denis Smith, "Holy Spirit Baptism and Deliverance." The picture on the cover is of a dove flying out of a fire...hmmmm....fire, Fire, and more FIRE...seems like there seems to be a theme here!

This last week's lesson that we studied in Sabbath school was based on the text in 1 Pet 1:6 that says, "In this greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials." Then there was an illustration about the "Birdcage." I have to share this quote because it's been such a blessing to me over the recent years. It goes like this:

"In the full light of day, and in hearing of the music of other voices, the caged bird will not sing the song that his master seeks to teach him. He learns a snatch of this, a trill of that, but never a separate and entire melody. But the master covers the cage, and places it where the bird will listen to the one song he is to sing. In the dark, he tries and tries again to sing that song until it is learned, and he breaks forth in perfect melody. Then the bird is brought forth, and ever after he can sing that song in the light. Thus God deals with His children. He has a song to teach us, and when we have learned it amid the shadows of affliction we can sing it ever afterward." Ministry of Healing pg 472

Yes, often it seems that we are all alone, trying our hardest to sing the song God has for us...all is dark around us. Yet, as this story illustrates, it's all for a reason. But until we can learn the song and sing it both in darkness and light...it seems that God will keep allowing us to be tested and built. I find it interesting to note that when the children of Israel failed the test of faith at the crossing of the red sea, while God delivered them...He continued to give them tests involving water for many more years. (Either the water was bitter, or they had none...or something else along the line!)

I love what Moses said to these people of little faith though...as they stood with the Egyptian army fast approaching from their front and the red sea at their back.

"Fear not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will shew to you today: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen today, ye shall see them again no more forever. The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace." Ex 14:13,14

How often when faced with discouragement, looming defeat, and overwhelming obstacles, I too give way to complaining and tears. "Why God, why? Why did you bring me this far just to let me die...why did you allow such and such to come about?" But then God's gentle voice chides me... "Melody, do you see me not? I am here with you even in the fire? And all this has been brought upon your path for a purpose...and some day, you'll thank me for it. Don't try to fight your way out in your own strength. You'll just be wasting your time. Just be still...hold my hand...and trust me..."

"In the future life, the mysteries that have annoyed and disappointed us will be made plain. We shall see that our seemingly unanswered prayers and dissapoiunted hopes have been among our greatest blessings." Ministry of Healing pg 474

It is my prayer that God will give each of us strength to stand still and trust Him...even in the fires of life...and to be determined that whether or not we be delivered (it matters not), we will obey the Lord our God! (Dan 3:17,18)

No comments: