Thursday, October 04, 2007

This morning as Val and I hiked up our "La Montaña de Corazón" the words to the song, "There is power in the Blood" came home to me with new significance.

Half-way up to our destination hilltop, at the top of one of the overlooks, someone had arranged a cross with wood and rocks. On the corners of the cross-beams and at the bottom, where Jesus feet would have been, was what looked like fresh blood. (I'm sure it was actually probably more like ketchup or red sauce. None the less, the semblance was sobering.) At the foot of the cross was a row of rocks spelling the word Jesus, in sacred rememberance.

I began to sing the words to the old favorite song...but instead of just reciting the memorized lines, I saw them in a new light...as questions and a simple answer...an answer that God gave to change our lives!

"Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There's power in the blood!

Would you o'er evil a victory to win?
There's power in the blood!

Would you be free from your passion and pride?
There's power in the blood!

Come for a cleansing to Calvary's tide?
There's power in the blood!

Would you do service for Jesus your King?
There's power in the blood!

Would you live daily His praises to sing?
There's power in the blood!

There is power, power, wonder working power...in the blood...of the Lamb!
There is power, power, wonder working power...in the precious blood of the Lamb!

I realized as I sang the words softly to myself, that this song sums up the desires and goals of my life. And yet, I also realized as tears came to my eyes...how often I still fall short. :-(

Yes, I know these answers, yet how often do I still in my own strength try overcome and obtain the victory against the flesh. How often do I still in my own strength try to be free of my "passion and pride." How often do I in my own strength try to love and reach out to those around me?! (No wonder my love supply often runs dry!) But the power...the answer...the strength...it is in the blood! His blood which He shed for me!

Eph 2:13 "But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ."

Of ourselves, we do not have the life, we do not have the strength...but He does! What good news!!! And it was exactly what I needed to be reminded of today!

I John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the BLOOD of JESUS CHRIST his Son cleanseth us from all sin."

No comments: