Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Today at the hospital, started out like most others. I arrived just on time, put my lunch in the staff fridge, stashed my water bottles up on the shelf in the lounge, got out my notebook and clipboard, put my nurses kit (of alcohol swabs, scissors, tape and pens) in my pocket, and threw my stethoscope around my neck. Then I headed to the nurses station to get report. However, things were not to go as I planned. When I went to look at the assignment sheet I realized that I had been "floated" to another floor. It happens so rarely, that I hadn't even bothered to check before I put all my stuff away. So, back to the lounge I went to gather things up as I hurried for the "float floor." Now I was running late.

When I got to the "float floor" I found that I was working as a "team" (which means I work with an LVN and have the possibility of 10 patients instead of 5!) I actually had 7 to start with, several discharges planned, and the possibility of 5 admits. So I knew it would be a hectic day. Things went well though, and I was several hours into my full swing routine (changing bandages, hanging antibiotics, nursing wounds, and comforting fears) when I got a call from the charge nurse that they were going to have to pull me back to my main floor. I'm a contract nurse, not permanent staff (even though I have been working at this place basically since February!), and there was also another contract nurse working on the floor today...and I guess it is policy that two contract nurses can't work on the floor at the same time. (Horrors...one of us might not know what to do if there's an emergency or something!) Well, I wasn't really excited about being moved, since I'd already gotten oriented to my patients, and was well into my day, but what was I to do. "God," I prayed. "There must be some reason you are moving me, so I wont complain! You always know best."

So after I finished up a few tasks that I was in the middle of, I gathered up all my "things" once again, and headed back to the main floor. There the nurse, that I would be switching with, and I exchanged report. Partway through her report she told me, "I'm sorry, but I've got a really bad patient to give you. Please forgive me..." And she proceeded to give me the details. Mid 20's Caucasian female, domestic violence case (was run over by an SUV of an angry family member), bone fractures, positive drug test for meth and cocaine upon arrival in ER, needing pain meds every hour which Dr. had ordered (but doctor not willing to allow PCA), very difficult attitude and uncooperative etc etc etc.

As soon as she started telling me about this patient, I instantly knew..."That's why God brought me back to my main floor! He brought me to help save her!!" Well, I had barely gotten my new paperwork in order when this "trouble child" was on the light, demanding for her pain meds and to see "her nurse." I got the stuff together, took a deep breath and prayed, "God, if you open the way today, I'll talk to her. I'll tell her about YOU! But you've got to open the door!" In our initial interaction, she was defiant and demanding...although she seemed to soften a little as I tried to show her I cared and was interested in helping her. It was to be a tough day for her though...as Social services was on the case and due to the "domestic violence and drug tests" was talking about removing her kids from her home. After the Social worker left, she called for me. "Can I talk to you a minute?" she asked. (It was about mid-day at this point.) I asked her family if they would step out a few minutes and closed the doors. Then, praying for true compassion, and the right way to reach her, I gave her my full attention.

"What's going on?" I asked. "Tell me more what happened and why you are here...." She told me stuff, but I could tell it was a cover-up. Then the drug issue came up. "I don't do drugs very often, really. I'm a good mom! I don't want to loose my kids!" I let her talk as her tears flowed. "I wasn't doing meth...just marayana!" she insisted at one point...as if one drug might be better than another. "Drug tests don't lie...." I told her. "What's going on in your life? What pain are you trying to cover up?" More tears came as she just looked at me. Then she began to share more. Finally I whispered softly. "You're not really happy with your life, are you?" "Well, not right now!" she shrugged. "Well, of course, not right now!" I smiled. "Your in a cast in bed and in pain, and you've been told lots of bad news...you shouldn't be happy now. But what I want to know is overall, before all this happened, where you happy and at peace with life?" "I guess not, not really. The drugs just help numb the pain, when I don't know what else to do!" she replied softly. I nodded understandingly as I let her talk some more. Finally I whispered, "You know what? There is a better way! There is a way to have true peace!!" I let there be a pregnant pause. "Have you ever given God a chance?"

And so we began to really talk...God had opened the door! It was more than just a minute...and as her ears grasped the Words of truth...not my words...but the Words of the One who sent me, I could see hope coming to her eyes. Finally we prayed together.

The afternoon went on, but her attitude had changed. The only thing she kept asking me was, "How much longer are you my nurse? You'll tell me before you leave, wont you?" Finally with only about half an hour to go, she called me back to her room. There was family chatting all around, but in her eyes, I could see the unspoken words. "Would you like to talk again?" I whispered. She nodded her head, "yes!" I asked the family to leave and again closed the door. "So what can I do for you? What are you thinking?" I asked. "I want you to pray for me again!" she sniffed as the tears again returned to her eyes. "What did you think about what I shared with you today?" I probbed. "I want to know God...but I don't know where to start. Can you tell me how?" there was an earnestness in her voice and tone. (Oh how my heart does burst with joy at such a request!!) "I would love to tell you how!" I replied. And so we talked some more. Again I prayed with her, and promised I'd bring something for her when I return to work.

When I left, while there was still pain, and still trials and still trauma to work through, I saw a peace and a hope in her eyes...and I just breathed a prayer of thanks and gratitude to God! He orchestrated our meeting...If I'd stayed on the floor to begin with, I wouldn't have gotten to take care of her, because the nurse that I switched with had taken care of her for 2 days already...so...God had to send me away, before He brought me back!

So, while I didn't understand initially (Why all this switching...why can't the supervisors and staffing get their act together) I know there was a purpose for what happened today, and I just praise Him!!!!!! What a thrilling feeling to know, while some people don't seem to have their act together...God always does!!!!!

*Pray that this wont be the end of her story...but only the beginning!

No comments: